First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Are you sure, Kari?
idunno.gif
I just baked some this weekend to feed to the chickens. I put them in a pie pan and turned the oven on to 250 *. The first dozen I forgot about. They were in for at least 90 minutes. The second batch I put in for 40 minutes but some weren't all the way done. I got the idea off the What You Got Swap Chat Thread. BHep does this. I only did the small batches to try and figure it out.

No, not sure
lol.png
Not going to try it either. I'll just stick to boiling mine when I need to feed them back to the flock. - 25 minutes to bring my stock pot to a boil then let them sit over night and cool down. Crunch them up and toss em on the manure pile. Pretty easy that way.

Awesome turkey coop Jess!

That is what we need to build. How many turkeys are you planning on keeping in the coop?

5 or 6 "permanent residents along with springtime guests that will just hang out for the summer. I believe their names are Thanksgiving and Christmas! I got a really good deal on the posts from a local fence company 17 foot long at $2 a piece! It was a deal I couldn't pass up, I bought 20.

So, I have my Easter hatch, I have eggs that'll hatch on 4/20 and 5/1. The turkeys should hatch around 5/8. Since I have all these other chicks do I need to set more chicken eggs next week or will these others be young enough to put the poults in with them?

So, I have my Easter hatch, I have eggs that'll hatch on 4/20 and 5/1. The turkeys should hatch around 5/8. Since I have all these other chicks do I need to set more chicken eggs next week or will these others be young enough to put the poults in with them?

you should be fine with what you have the thing to remember that young turkeys are not the smartest and the chicks will show them the food and water so the 5/1 hatch should be perfect. I have read that turkey poults will start piping around day 25. so it is very possible to have some early hatches here.

Quote:
you should be fine with what you have the thing to remember that young turkeys are not the smartest and the chicks will show them the food and water so the 5/1 hatch should be perfect. I have read that turkey poults will start piping around day 25. so it is very possible to have some early hatches here.

Very good. I don't have a problem with hatching more chicks, it's just that I don't have the room for'em and am working on that.

BTW Jess, love your property and future turkey pen!! How much snow do you get up there? I spent two winters in ND and don't ever want to do that again! LOL!

OOOOH! I'm accidentally in...and I didn't even know about it until just now! I put 5 White Broadbreasted Turkey eggs in the 'bator Easter Sunday-just because my Polish babies were ready to move out...and I have several more eggs ready to go. YAY! I've never tried to hatch turkey eggs before, so I'm thrilled to join in!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom