First clutch, Quail eggs, Inc day 5?

Day 7
1f44d.png

Day 8 and my egg candler broke :( waiting on a new one in the post, fingers crossed it comes before day 13/14, my lockdown day!

Well I caved and candled the 3 that looked nice and dark with my phone torch and low and behold I have beautiful red veins. I even seen movement in one of the eggs what a lovely mothers day surprise haha hopefully I'm gunna be a chick mummy soon!!

Thankyouu can i ask a quick question, I've been looking at starter feeds but can't decide on a certain brand is there a particular one you would recommend for my chicks if they hatch? Thanks again :)

Well, I was told they need 32% protein, but the highest I can find is Manna Pro gamebird/showbird and its only 24%. Mine seem to be growing fine on it, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer. Maybe check the quail threads. I don't think I'm going to keep mine now, so I haven't given it much more thought or research. Sorry.

Thankyou for getting back to me so soon yeah I've heard 26-30% so I will have a check around first and maybe nip to my local pet shop for a small amount just incase they do hatch to last them a few days before investing in a higher amount of food lol

Day 10 and lots of movement and lots of veins in 3 eggs so fingers crossed for them still I'm going to do lockdown day on day 13 which is Wednesday as I recently read that Japanese quail can hatch from day 14-17 or there after my original day for lockdown was 14 but I feel id rather be early then to late will update lockdown day
1f44d.png
1f423.png

I locked down on day 14 last time, but they didn't hatch till 18. I guess quails hatch range is more difficult to pinpoint than chickens and ducks lol
Today is day 13 for me, I think I'll lockdown on 15. I have silkie/cochin eggs in with mine, due the same day.

Day 12 getting tooooo excited now, definitely 3 viable eggs that look like yours when candled duck chick! :) I have also decided my lockdown day is now day 14 x forgot to mention lots and lots of movement from all 3!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom