First Coop Design & Build - added video of automatic door

PeterW

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 9, 2010
Galway, Ireland
Hi all

Last month was my wife's birthday and for some unknown reason she decided she wanted chickens. After initially being reluctant I soon came round to the idea and started thinking ahead to building a chicken coop. I soon stumbled upon this website and while I gained alot of inspiration for building a coop I also learned that it's not as straight forward as first thought! Since time was not on my side (she wanted chickens for her birthday, not Christmas!) I bought her a small coop to start with and figured we'd build something bigger & better before winter comes. So with the chickens (3 silkie hens & 1 silkie cockerel) content enough for now in their temporary home we're now working on the design of our first coop.

After a week or so of different ideas and sketches, below picture is what we've settled on for now. This will fit on the corner of a 9' x 12' run and has been designed with the following in mind:
1. Shelter - 90% of our bad weather comes from the south and there is no natural shelter. The coop will therefore face north with the roof mainly sloped to the south to fend off the wind and rain. The underneath of the coop is closed in for the chickens to take shelter or shade if they need it. The pop door is sheltered by the adjoining wall.
2. Size - while we only have 4 chickens just now I think it's inevitable that we'll have more in the future. The floor space of this design is 40 square feet. The height is determined by the height of the existing run (6ft)
3. Practicality - nest boxes positioned on the north facing wall, nearest to the house. The east facing wall will have a large door for cleaning out.

coop5.jpg

A few days ago that was the final, frozen design and we went ahead and ordered materials. But now, while waiting for the materials to arrive I'm continuing to look at other designs and am starting to have doubts about ours!

So...does anyone have any comments on this design? Any obvious downsides or considerations that we haven't taken into account? All comments (good & bad) would be greatly appreciated. The last thing I want is to go ahead with the build and then realise we've missed something important.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Peter

Last edited:
I made a video of my coop door in operation:

At the moment it opens at 8am and closes at 6pm. That'll need frequent adjustment as the evenings get longer...we had 2 chickens locked out a couple of days ago when I had the door set to close at 5.30pm. It was pretty much dark at that time but obviously those 2 were making the most of their day before heading to bed
smile.png
We do check on them every evening anyway do they were only locked out for a short while before we found them pacing back and forward in front of the coop.

What a huge change! Moving from Green Green Ireland to San Diego, wow! Enjoyed reading your build and how you adapted as you went. Here's hoping you get to build another coop soon!
And get more chickens :cd

Last edited:
Well at this point, it looks good to me. I like that "carport" section underneath...that'll be nice in heat or snow. You've certainly got your work cut out for you...lol. But you will love it when it's done. So the clean-out door allows access to both "wings"? And in the "carport" section...is it open in the back (where I can't see) so that you can rake underneath for clean-ups?? Looking forward to seeing this as it progresses...it's one of the more unique looking designs I've seen.
smile.png

And
welcome-byc.gif
from Indiana!

Don't forget about ventilation. Figure at least 1 square foot of ventilation per chicken:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Windows are good, but vents high up at the top of walls are better because you can leave them open or mostly open in the winter without cold drafts blowing on chickens when they're roosting. Windows down lower might need to be kept closed in winter.

If your summers are hot, you may have a problem with heat building up in a closed coop, especially if it's in the sun.

I'm also wondering about how easy a design like this will be to clean. Think about how you'll scoop and scrape droppings out of all these areas as you stand at your access door. And as the other commenter noted, don't forget to think about how you will clean under the coop, too. I have one coop up on legs and I hate it. The only way I can clean under it is by raking and I can't ever get it as clean as the other areas in my run.

Think about raising your pop door off the floor an inch or two (or whatever the height of your bedding is going to be). I learned this the hard way. If the pop door is at floor level, the bedding falls out when you open the door.

Think about adding roof overhangs. I didn't, and if I had it to do over again I'd have at least a foot overhang on all sides. You also might not want to put your nestboxes on a wall where they'll get the runoff from the roof. It might make collecting eggs on a rainy day unpleasant.

Hi and many thanks for the replies.

Regarding ventilation - the windows will open outward from the bottom with the openings covered with chicken wire so they can be left open for ventilation in summer. I was planning to add some louvre type vents in the gable ends too but it sounds like I'll need some significantly bigger openings.

The "carport" area will be closed off at the back and far side, which would indeed make it difficult to clean. That's one of the areas I've been doubting...whether to raise the floor for easier access underneath or just to build it at ground level to give more height inside the coop. More height inside would allow more scope for ventilation and roosts.

Good advice regarding the roof overhangs and pop door height. I'll ensure to incorporate those in the final design...whatever that might be!

Best Regards,
Peter

I forgot to ask...

I've seen it mentioned on a couple of sites that the main door to the coop should open inwards rather than outwards.
What's the main reason for this?

Thanks,
Peter

Quote:
Mine doesn't. My Coop and Run doors open outwards with springs to pull them shut if let go, (I do have latches to secure shut). The Run door is spring load because I load up the wheelbarrow with brown gold compost and bang open the door on the way out to put the compost on the garden----the door shuts itself behind me as my hands are full pushing the wheelbarrow. See my BYC page for Coop/Run Pics.

Quote:
Chicken wire is not recommended. It will keep your chickens in, but it won't keep predators out. Too flimsy. Hardware cloth/welded wire with wire spacing of 1/2" by 1/2" is good.

They really ought to call that stuff "chicken death wire."

Quote:
Mine doesn't. My Coop and Run doors open outwards with springs to pull them shut if let go, (I do have latches to secure shut). The Run door is spring load because I load up the wheelbarrow with brown gold compost and bang open the door on the way out to put the compost on the garden----the door shuts itself behind me as my hands are full pushing the wheelbarrow. See my BYC page for Coop/Run Pics.

I agree! Especially if your coop is small, an inward opening door would pose terrible design difficulties about where you put your roost, feeder, etc. inside. I'm building a big coop this fall and designing the door on that to open outwards, too.

Back
Top Bottom