First Egg Countdown

Hi, I have a Turken and two white leghorns ( discovered this morning that one is a rooster). So only two hens. They're not as gorgeous as some of yours, wow, makes me want to go and find such good looking chooks, anyway, It's my first time ever raising chickens, so I'm a little dumb still, Lol. I think they are about 16 weeks, not 100% sure how old they were when we got them, give or take a week or two. No eggs yet, put some hay in the nesting boxes last week and they kicked all if it out ?? Maybe too early, hey? So let the countdown begin...

Last edited:
I have a couple silkie pullets that are 18 weeks old. One of them sang the egg song yesterday, and the roos that hatched with them have started crowing.
I didnt know that they sang the song unless they were laying? is that normal?

Last edited:
I have a couple silkie pullets that are 18 weeks old. One of them sang the egg song yesterday, and the roos that hatched with them have started crowing.
I didnt know that they sang the song unless they were laying? is that normal?
Also, how long after they start laying before I can incubate and hatch the eggs?
Silkies are know to be late starters. Mine was 49 weeks old before she laid her first egg! You might want to ask your question on the Silkie thread.

Sorry for the whole story...
I have 42 different Chickens that include White Leghorns, RIR's, RSL's, BO's, BA's, BR's, EE's, BCM's, CW's, BM's (bad initials - Black Minorcas), and 7 Bantams. The oldest are the leghorns, at 15 weeks all the way down to 8 weeks for some breeds. I've been meaning to build their next boxes for the past couple of weeks.  I finally got it built on Friday night and Saturday morning (8 nest boxes for all with a crate in another corner that they find interesting for some reason).  I mounted it to the wall on Sunday morning and put in some pine shavings and a fake egg in all but two of the boxes.  One of my leghorns has a crazy tall comb and bright red so I knew she was ready to start laying.  As soon as I mounted the nest box to the wall, she got in and snooped around. After that, she walked over to me (totally unlike her - she is very flighty - like her leghorn sisters) and I reached out to pet her.  She bowed down as if I was mating with her so I stroked her back kind of aggressively.  Once she was "satisfied" she started what I thought was her "egg song" - ('ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-bacaaaaack").  She exited the coop out the door that I had open which is my access door (from the other side of the shed).  She was going from one shelf to the next. I figured she was trying to lay so I took her off the shelf and carried her over to the nest box and set her in one of the slots.  She walked around and fluffed up several until she found the right one.  Within an hour, she laid us our first egg - albeit a little small.  I am such a proud papa!!!  She laid another one today - about 26 hours later - and a little bigger.  it is funny because now she is the sweetest bird and lets me pet her whenever I want (I thinks she is wanting me to sex her up because she does a slight squat with her wings out slightly when I try to pet her - but if she lays for me by me doing it, then I will continue to pet her back for a few seconds to keep her interested).

My wife said, "you weren't this excited when our kids were born." to which I replied, "I had a lot less work in the production of our kids than I do these eggs."  we both had a good laugh. I treat my chickens like gold and they are spoiled rotten but it is a labor of love for me.

BTW.  She laid at 14 weeks, 6 days and I don't think any of the others will start for at least a few weeks - although she is gathering quite an audience when she lays.  I guess the others are learning what to do.

Congrats on the egg! what a great experience to witness with the hen. Would you post a picture of this wonderful leghorn? I have two WL gals and am very curious what they look like at point of lay, tried to google images but could not find much. I have one with a large red comb but I'm not sure how large and how red the comb should be. (If that makes sense) also I have heard the comb will get a bit floppy right before they lay eggs.

I've got at least 4 of my girls laying. One EE,BR,'Lorp and RIR for sure. My son picked up a RIR and she laid an egg on his foot :D I was stunned the EE would start laying, there were no signs at all.
I think everyone else will be starting very soon as they are all looking and acting ready. I have one little EE who has been on the slow end of the growth curve since the start and I figure she will be my last to lay.
Their eggs are small but not tiny. The shells are quite thick and hard to crack so I take it their diet is good. the yolks are a nice rich orange.

They are all NOISY, the BR especially. They have a lot to say, laying or not. I have one BR that just clucks and chatters all dang day. :D

Back
Top Bottom