First Egg Countdown

Yesterday two of my hens did the classic submissive squat! And this is a day after I noticed that the combs are super red! :) :) :) I hope its soon!!!!

I have been struggling keeping my automatic watering font from freezing, and as a result I have thought I wouldn't get my first eggs for quite some time. My hens are now 17.5 weeks old, and I figured I would normally get eggs by New Years, possibly later due to the watering issues.

But today, I got my first 2 eggs....woot! One was like a plastic bag that had been burst, but the other was quite nice.

Interestingly, my roost boxes are above my heat lamps, and while they sit on the roosts in front of the boxes, I've never seen any hens in any of the boxes. So it was interesting that the burst egg was found on the ground, but the good egg was found in a roost box. Even more surprising to me was I had not yet started to put straw in the boxes, they were empty galvanized boxes. Yet in one of them was this great egg...go figure.

I never thought I'd get excited about an egg...but here I am!

Cheers,
Russ

My first egg on the third day of cold dreariness with constant mixed precipitation. I guess the countdown is over for one of my girls! In the nestbox and everything... boy was I doting on them today. I was out there throwing scratch and congratulating them all like it was mission control for a space mission that just landed on the moon or something.
yesss.gif

My first egg on the third day of cold dreariness with constant mixed precipitation. I guess the countdown is over for one of my girls! In the nestbox and everything... boy was I doting on them today. I was out there throwing scratch and congratulating them all like it was mission control for a space mission that just landed on the moon or something.:yesss:
Ha ha! I know how u feel!

My first egg on the third day of cold dreariness with constant mixed precipitation. I guess the countdown is over for one of my girls! In the nestbox and everything... boy was I doting on them today. I was out there throwing scratch and congratulating them all like it was mission control for a space mission that just landed on the moon or something.
yesss.gif
One of my EE girls laid her first green egg nine days ago. I know exactly what you are feeling. I felt like giving out cigars and I had to show everyone the new egg.

For months, I went into the coop and saw a sea of brown pine shavings. And then one day I saw a tiny spot of color on the sea. It was like discovering a boat, long since declared hopelessly lost. I would have kissed the gal had I known who had laid. I found out day before yesterday, and after she laid, I acted like I was just meandering over to the spot. (I didn't want to appear as if I really wanted the thing.
droolin.gif
) I picked up the egg and it was really warm. I now know why chickens can survive in extremely cold weather. I thought she might even have had a fever!
lau.gif

Anyway, Congrats!
clap.gif

And now I just have it on the counter to examine every few minutes, lol. I feel like I should have it bronzed or something.

Congrats!!!
woot.gif

I still have the first egg. I'm trying to figure out the best way to preserve it, too. I have a needle and syringe. I'm wondering if I can stick a sewing needle in the end and suck the contents out. I'll wash it out, of course, but I'm not sure what to dip it in. I don't have enough $$ to bronze it, as I have five more EE gals I plan to do the same to their first egg. Thank goodness I only have a flock of six.
smile.png

And now I just have it on the counter to examine every few minutes, lol. I feel like I should have it bronzed or something.

One of my EE girls laid her first green egg nine days ago. I know exactly what you are feeling. I felt like giving out cigars and I had to show everyone the new egg.

For months, I went into the coop and saw a sea of brown pine shavings. And then one day I saw a tiny spot of color on the sea. It was like discovering a boat, long since declared hopelessly lost. I would have kissed the gal had I known who had laid. I found out day before yesterday, and after she laid, I acted like I was just meandering over to the spot. (I didn't want to appear as if I really wanted the thing.
droolin.gif
) I picked up the egg and it was really warm. I now know why chickens can survive in extremely cold weather. I thought she might even have had a fever!
lau.gif

Anyway, Congrats!
clap.gif

So nice to have others to share the insanity of a first egg with.
highfive.gif

droolin.gif
lau.gif

Anyway, Congrats!
clap.gif

I love how you describe it! All those chores for months and then this last month where I really was hoping for an egg every day and getting used to looking at poop and my golf balls I put in the boxes and then the shock of an egg actually being there. I don't know who laid it either. I was picking up my two suspects as though there would be afterbirth on them or something... this is how much I know about farming, lol.
idunno.gif
Congrats on your eggs too! Being greedy like I am I'm not satisfied with the one egg and hope for a green or blue egg myself one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom