First Egg Countdown

Hello everyone! I have 15 week old barnyard mix pullets. They are starting to hangout on thier nest boxes now. I come to check in the morning and thier nest boxes have poo in them. Is this a good sign that they are going to be laying soon... Or am I grasping at straws? Haha!

I also have one Pullet that has a comb and waddle that is turning red and she is becoming pretty vocal. Is this a sign of much?

Thanks y'all!
Newbie here.

Hi everyone!
So thrilled we can join your thread! Here is my girl. She is five months old. Without warning she gave me her first egg last week!

Congratulations everybody...that endorphin rush was worth the wait, that's for sure.
Same thing happened to me yesterday. My CCL X Red Star cross laid her first egg. The egg was dark green so I could not mistake it for someone else's egg. There was no warning, no egg songs, no large red comb or wattles, no squatting. She did check out the nesting area a week ago though.

Here is a picture of the egg, second from left

And the picture of my girl Rosalina.

My first egg! My black sexlink, Olga, gave me my 1st egg this evening when I went down to the coop for lock-up. She was acting strange, jumped into her nest box and laid her 1st egg right there in front of me!!!!! Ahhh! She is 20 weeks.

I have 4 barred rocks, 5 RI reds, and 2 Ameracuanas that are 16 weeks. Their combs and wattles are starting to come in and turn red. So excited to see the first eggs, but I think I have a few weeks yet :eek:( Can't wait!

How old are your chickens?
Same thing happened to me yesterday. My CCL X Red Star cross laid her first egg. The egg was dark green so I could not mistake it for someone else's egg. There was no warning, no egg songs, no large red comb or wattles, no squatting. She did check out the nesting area a week ago though.

Here is a picture of the egg, second from left

And the picture of my girl Rosalina.

Last edited:
picked 3 new pullets and they are now free ranging with my other 2 RIR. they are the same breed as well. I think I should get an egg from them in September or late August.

Back
Top Bottom