FIRST Egg this morning!

I found another one this morning, so if it was my 2yo, she also layed one yesterday. My 1yo layed one on Tuesday. I try to see who they belong to, but they don't seem to sit on them for two long. So far, only 1 out of 5 has been in a nesting box. The others have been down in the run, under the coop. I'm not too worried, as it's protected too.

So we've been consistently getting 1 egg each morning, the other day looks like one of my runners started to lay (getting a blueish egg from her and an off white from my buffs) two of my buff eggs are HUGE, finally cracked one open to use in a muffin recipe and walla! a double yolk......do you guys get them often???

My neighbor gave me a good bit of advice on prepping the eggshells. I rinse them out completely with hot water, then let them drip dry a little. Put them on a piece of aluminum foil, on a baking sheet. Preheat your oven to 350, and as soon as it's done preheating, turn the oven off. Put the eggshells on the middle rack and close the oven door. Leave them in there for 5 minutes. When you remove them, they'll be completely dry and crisp, and you can crush them however is convenient. I crush them until they're like course sand. Oh, and I've found that about 4 Silkie eggs equal two L or XL eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom