First freeze!

jnewsom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
This is my first winter with my girls and the next few nights here are going to be dropping! Were going to have temps down into the 20s at night. We've just finished adding a roof over the run and wrapping the coop/run with 6mm plastic sheeting (which we doubled up on). I have a smaller coop and only 4 girls in my flock I dont want to put a heat lamp in it if I dont have to because of the safety risks. Ive been told theyre okay until about -20 WITHOUT a lamp. So have I done enough? The coop doesnt have insulated walls but there's a good foot of straw lining the bottom. This is my first flock and I just wanna make sure all is well!
[/IMG]

Fully feathered, healthy birds of most common breeds will be fine. The plastic is actually unnecessary. Supplemental heat is not needed and is more likely to be a hazard than a help.

We have already had a couple to nights in the low 20's. I have not even closed down the vent. I think they need to get used to the cold in the fall to be able to tolerate what comes next.

As long as they are draft free, they will be okay :) We use a heated dog dish for water...keeping water liquid will be a bigger issue than your birds' health being effected by the cold! The plastic will help a lot to keep wind out...plus there's an actual small housing inside?? They'll be fine!

Back
Top Bottom