First pallet coop?!

Nice pallet coops! I'm working with pallets and reclaimed wood and other supplies, too. I can't afford to buy all new things, and it's been eye-opening how much stuff is floating around if you make an effort to grab it (lots of checking on craigslist for me). I also found a Habitat For Humanity ReStore relatively near me, and got my paint from there. The most expensive parts are going to be the roof ( no one seems to be giving away roofing material...:(), the linoleum I want for the floor, and the hardware cloth.

I'm now working on the coop itself, and it's challenging since all my pallets are different sizes, different woods, and some are in better condition than others. I've looked at tons of pictures online, and am taking bits and pieces of designs here and there. We have very large, smart raccoons and opossums that roam our backyard (and this is the burbs!), so the coop needs to be tight. I'm like brains (love that handle, by the way!) in that I need straight lines, too, but I'm finding that I need to let that go a bit when working with reclaimed wood. The sawzall idea is great, and I just might end up doing that to keep more of my boards intact. I've been using a wrecking bar, hammer, pliers, earplugs, and lots of patience to get the boards separated up 'till now. :p I'll try posting picts once I get most of it together. I'm picking up my chicks this Saturday, so the clock is ticking!

Nice pallet coops! I'm working with pallets and reclaimed wood and other supplies, too. I can't afford to buy all new things, and it's been eye-opening how much stuff is floating around if you make an effort to grab it (lots of checking on craigslist for me). I also found a Habitat For Humanity ReStore relatively near me, and got my paint from there. The most expensive parts are going to be the roof ( no one seems to be giving away roofing material...:(), the linoleum I want for the floor, and the hardware cloth.

I'm now working on the coop itself, and it's challenging since all my pallets are different sizes, different woods, and some are in better condition than others. I've looked at tons of pictures online, and am taking bits and pieces of designs here and there. We have very large, smart raccoons and opossums that roam our backyard (and this is the burbs!), so the coop needs to be tight. I'm like brains (love that handle, by the way!) in that I need straight lines, too, but I'm finding that I need to let that go a bit when working with reclaimed wood. The sawzall idea is great, and I just might end up doing that to keep more of my boards intact. I've been using a wrecking bar, hammer, pliers, earplugs, and lots of patience to get the boards separated up 'till now. :p I'll try posting picts once I get most of it together. I'm picking up my chicks this Saturday, so the clock is ticking!

Looking fwd to seeing your coop! We took a break and will be back at it tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom