First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Hello JR Nash,
Yes I have a favorite incubator; two favorites in fact: 1) small - the Chinese Silky, best incubator and momma of them all and 2) large: the Polish, also a great incubator and momma too. These do not need plugging in to a wall receptacle, fine tuning and you dare not mist them! Yes, I admit to having a series of 3, 48 egg capacity incubators. (Chris has one of them at his home.) All, not including Chris, are a cause for worry, concern, fine tuning and all (again exclude Chris!) do their best to go allied with Murphy and his law.
Sincerely,
Neal, the Zooman

Thanks Neal!! I'M following this thread with avid interest. Ive placed my order for Giants, (black and white) Dark Cornish, and white Plymouth Rocks. Also ordered 20Jumbo cornish x for the end of June.

My plan is to totally free range with supplemental feeding. Let all run together until I can tell the roosting from hens. Then I will separate the roosting so I can control the breeding. Will save the most viable cornish x for foundation stock to cross with crosses. Lol

I think my CX hen is sterile. She has never took to a breeding which really makes me sad. I really wanted some toads.

Toads. Baaaahaha. Y'all kill me with that. Sorry about the hen. Murphy's law at work.
The term Toads did come from a long story but it is in this thread. There was quite a conversation about what the chicks hatched from CX eggs should be called. It's way back in this thread and I couldn't tell you where. You know one of those kind of conversations where mom has to put her foot down and smack some hands? Yeah, that's what I had to do. Grrr...memories. Let us not restart the earlier convo but if curious enough, enjoy the read.

Oh and I love your CX raising plans! Make sure to share here as we love to hear how it goes, learn from and give advice and support if needed.

Last edited:
Yes Mam!!
1f606.png

Yesterday I went out to feed the meatballs. I only counted 19. I recounted. Still 19.
I went inside their pen to look for the dead one. I assumed it could only be dead if it was not rushing to the food like everyone else. No body.
I counted again, still only 19.

We have a wiley CX who can get out, so I figured we missed it the night before somehow and the fox had a yummy chicken dinner.

I went to let out the hens and check on the turkeys.

Guess who I found, snug as a bug in a rug, hanging out with the turkeys. The missing CX.
Guess who stayed there all day, as well as night. The missing CX.

That meatball thinks it outsmarted us!

Back
Top Bottom