First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Where did you get your CX's? I'M ordering from Macmurray. A little worried as they have VERY mixed reviews. Ive loved dealing with Ideal Poultry, they don't have the breeds im interested in

Where did you get your CX's? I'M ordering from Macmurray. A little worried as they have VERY mixed reviews. Ive loved dealing with Ideal Poultry, they don't have the breeds im interested in

I order mine from Townline hatchery. If this helps. Never had an issue with them.

Hi am new to meat birds and have been having a couple problems. Everything was going great and the last two days (birds are 2 weeks old) I have lost 4 birds. I have read a lot and feel I am doing everything right just not sure what is happening. I have the birds in a brooder with softwood shavings. I have checked and double checked te best under my lamp and its 90-95 degrees depending on outside temperature. Change their water once sometimes twice daily. Some of the birds seem to be almos gasping for air at times but there is plenty of ventilation in my barn. They also seem to stretch their legs almost every time they get up to get water or feed.
Remove the heat lamp immediately!! These birds are high temped and do not need the same kind of temps that laying chicks do. My two week olds go out on pasture without a heat lamp at 40 degree nights. They are gasping for air because they are overheating mostly likely!

I'm not sure where those of you live that are asking which hatchery you use. Just be in the know that the midwest had a severe problem with bird flu and have had to cull millions of chickens and turkeys. If you don't know about it, do a google search or bird flu 2015. Keep your flocks safe!!

I have to agree with Jessica at 2 weeks you should be at 70-80 degrees at the most. They generate a tone of heat. If they are cold they snuggle.

Beings I am ( or my chicks are) in Minnesota I worry about avian flu, but so far it has not struck the small flocks only the large confinement units. From what I understand they would all be dead by now if you had that.

Still take care with the carcasses, do not spread anything.

I know you said you feed twice a day, but it sounds like they are getting too much food or too protein rich food, I use 14-16% protein. Because of how poorly I did feeding them the rich stuff. Gasping for air sounds to me like a cardiopulmonary problem, which can be cause by too much protein, and Ascites or Ketosis destroying the kidneys.

I raise mine on wood chips and that has never been a problem, but I use large chips for them as they would eat a car if they could swallow it.

MY wife sold a dozen Toad eggs to someone to eat the other day. We do not have enough incubator space and beings I am stuck in Florida for another week, a new incubator will not magically appear.

She says we have a little toad. She says it is smaller than the normal ones but feisty. She says it looks so delicate and sweet and as soon as it gets down with the other birds it starts pecking at them and shoving her way to the feed and is like a little Napoleon. I wish I could see him.

I am not limiting feed on my toads, I have no idea if I should or not. I am feeding 16% feed though. I do not dare ask my DW to separate and feed Bert's babies from the rest. She would not like that, and I would like the fallout less, I will take my chances.

I am remembering why I lived in my cabin in Northern MN every summer. This heat is killing me. I cannot get rid of enough clothes to be comfortable without ricking a stay in jail.

My meat birds, called White Broilers, came from Meyer hatchery in Polk, Ohio. I was able to drive the 90 mins to pick them up rather than pay shipping for the 34 chicks. This is my first hatchery experience so I have no results or insight into other hatcheries.

My meat birds, called White Broilers, came from Meyer hatchery in Polk, Ohio. I was able to drive the 90 mins to pick them up rather than pay shipping for the 34 chicks. This is my first hatchery experience so I have no results or insight into other hatcheries.

Awww! I love baby chicks!! I'm gearing up for a new batch pretty quick here myself. We are moving my 13 week olds out of the grow out area to the pasture training area this weekend! I'm excited because that means babies after it's all mucked out. Yay!

I've only used my nearby Oregon hatchery for my meaties and Cackle Hatchery for my layers. I've been super happy with the results for both. From Cackle I order 300 pullets and received 312. One was a roo and 10 expired for whatever reason. I think this was very good results for these kinds of numbers.

Remove the heat lamp immediately!! These birds are high temped and do not need the same kind of temps that laying chicks do. My two week olds go out on pasture without a heat lamp at 40 degree nights. They are gasping for air because they are overheating mostly likely!

I agree too! It is waaay too hot for them. Like Jessica said, they do not need the same heat as other chicks. They are little heaters in themselves.
And no, they won't move away. I don't know why they think it is a good idea to parcook them selves under the light, but they will.
Good luck with the rest!

In my experience, 2 weeks and 4 weeks tend to be markers for strange deaths with CX.

I also agree with Ralph that they may be getting too much protein. They very easily end up with heart problems. Did you happen to necropsy them? If there was a lot of fluid in the body cavity, heart issues.

Back
Top Bottom