First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Give them enough to last them 20 minutes in the morning and the same in the evening. That is all they need.

Yeah? That doesn't seem like much. I guess I could run out and put food in when I get up, then take it out 20 minutes later, then do the same when I get home at night. I could also just feed them before I leave in the morning and pick it up when I get home, 11 hours later, letting them eat all day. That's still less than they eat now, but they'd have an empty crop at night.

"Ugly" got up close and personal,highly unusual for this one. It normally hides. Can't say as I blame it.lol

I use automatic feeders. Check out my posts. These feeders can be programed to feed as many as 16x a day.

I'll look into those for next batch. In the meantime, I COULD put food out at 0530 then have someone take it in 1-3 hours later (depending on the day) then put it out again at 1630 for a bit. Think that will improve the chances?

The problem if you have been free will feeding them for 3 weeks is the damage is done, most likely. You will lose some even if you change their eating habits now. I am not saying you should not cut way, way back, Just know the roots of kidney and heart problems have most likely started already.

I know this will sound cruel to some of you, but I actually skip a day or two a week with my "toads", I want them on a near starvation diet to increase their life spans.

BTW they are huge birds, I am hoping I have not over fed them this year.

The problem if you have been free will feeding them for 3 weeks is the damage is done, most likely. You will lose some even if you change their eating habits now. I am not saying you should not cut way, way back, Just know the roots of kidney and heart problems have most likely started already.

I know this will sound cruel to some of you, but I actually skip a day or two a week with my "toads", I want them on a near starvation diet to increase their life spans.

BTW they are huge birds, I am hoping I have not over fed them this year.
It wouldn't kill a few of us BYC folks to miss a meal once in a while!
gig.gif
I'm still young and in pretty good shape but I really like to eat and realize that it's time I started being a bit more conservative at mealtime. It won't hurt those birds to miss a meal once in a while either....might do many of them a world of good.

Back
Top Bottom