First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

This is an interesting question and I'm curious to see what others say. I am a total meat bird newbie, but in the horse world, some say the mare can have a greater impact on offspring than pure genetics would warrant, since there are factors during pregnancy (i.e. larger mare may give birth to larger foal) and also afterwards, in terms of the offspring learning behaviors from mare and her temperament shaping that of foal. I'm wondering if having a hen that's a more aggressive forager would result in offspring being more inclined, for example. Anyhow, fascinating topic!

HA, I'd be careful not to espouse that notion anywhere near folks who got burned up with the genetic horror of IMPRESSIVE. and that he was.

Had a busy day today !!

Built yet another covered pen onto a spare chicken house I have and knocked up a quick nest pan out of a used sheep feed bucket.

Caught up all the layers I have mixed in with the hybrid meat birds pen and the big blue Cornish cockerel which runs with them and settled them into there new home.

This leaves only the 2 slow growth hybrid meat cockerels, there 4 hens and the 3 medium growth Sasso hens so in a few weeks the eggs from this pen will be making my first batch in the Incy.

I also have my Cukoo Marans in this pen but can easily tell there eggs apart, although I might try a few of this cross to see how they turn out
1f609.png

Also have a Cornish pen ready, just need them to start laying
1f644.png

Last edited:
I'm interested in Welp's Slow Growers.  JRNASH, can you give me some information about them so I can prepare myself for any problems or even good info!!??
Turk, Welps site is pretty much dead on accurate in their description.
They don't have the superfast growth that the "normal" CX do nor do they get as massive. They are rock solid in the health department. They lay consistently. Extra large to a jumbo light brown egg. They have absolutely no problem breeding or doing any of the normal chicken stuff. They are not aggressive and they will go broody.

The only complaint I really have is that the white coloration attracts every predator known to man. I think they are an excellent start to any breeding program where you are attempting to get a homegrown broiler.

Turk, Welps site is pretty much dead on accurate in their description.
They don't have the superfast growth that the "normal" CX do nor do they get as massive. They are rock solid in the health department. They lay consistently. Extra large to a jumbo light brown egg. They have absolutely no problem breeding or doing any of the normal chicken stuff. They are not aggressive and they will go broody.

I much rather use the white birds (note: Chanteclers) for my Capon project. They clean up so much better for the general public. For my part, I have no problem with dark pinfeathers and the unusually grim '5 O'clock shadow' they leave all over the birds back but it is a bit un-attractive to some who are paying a super premium price for a bird.

One has to give the public what they want if you expect them to pay for it.

Turk

Back
Top Bottom