First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

About a quarter of this years Meat birds enjoying the sunshine.

I've got about 8 to process at the weekend, I've chosen next years breeding stock and it's time to reduce the feed bill.

Attachments

• IMG_4480.JPG
    IMG_4480.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 10
Few better pics.
They will be 14 weeks this week.
Here are a few pics of this batch before there off to freezer camp.

I'm keeping all the Pullets again for next years breeding and laying.
The Slow Sasso Pullets have a salmon colour.

The Pullet in front is the only one showing the dwarf gene.

Slow x Intermediate Sasso red Pullet & Rooster
Like last years the Intermediate Roosters have bad movement.

Slow Sasso Rooster
Nice bird but again his movement isn't as free as I like in a breeder.

Slow Sasso Rooster
Finally the chosen one for next years breeding.

I'm also trying to keep his dad going until next year as well.

So out of the 15 CX I bought Only 4 are pullets... I banded three of them... The fourth is too fine boned for my taste... Her legs aren't as thick as everyone else's and she just does not have the depth and width of back I would want on a meat bird... So I think I will keep the other three pullets. I am watching them closely to make sure they all get around ok and don't have any leg issues. So far they are all doing great!

I am hoping to introduce meat birds to hubby this next spring... I think if we raise a few and butcher them he will be mor inclinded to me getting hatching eggs of Cornish and other breeds. Just found out besides him loving jungle fowl, he has always wantef the birds with leg feathers... I am pretty sure after dedcribing various breeds and showing him pictures he means cochin/pekin and brahma... Standards in those breeds get big. Not sure how they mature say versus a Cornish. I am just happy he is on board with more chickens... So planing new coop.

Back
Top Bottom