First time chicken owner with a mystery sexxed bird!

agold23

Songster
May 25, 2021
Hi, this is my first post here. I am a first time chicken owner with a flock of 5 hens and a rooster.... or so we thought.

A bit of backstory: my dads friend is a HUUUGE chicken fanatic- she has over 200 chickens and countless more turkeys. She was so kind enough to lend me some for the summer and they will go back in the fall.

A month ago, we picked the now 1 year old silkie rooster, 11 month old silkie hen, 16-17 week old lavender orpington bonded with the 16-17 week old amercauna mix hen and a little 13-14 week old rhode island red hen. About 2 weeks ago we picked up another rhode island chick, except she wasn’t so sure on this ones sex. She was pretty sure she’s a she as the chick lacked hackle and saddle feathers yet the chick’s comb and waddles were considerably larger than the other RI hen chick’s, as well as tiny spurs coming in. I’m still on the fence about this one as I read that hens can have large waddles/combs and spurs.

Here’s the catch. The two RI have bonded wonderfully, and we have what we call “the buddy system” as each chicken has their appropriate counterpart. I’m nervous about the fact that the she may as well be a he and the potential fights that she will get in with my rooster (whos not necessarily aggressive but watchful and protective). As we get closer to the egg laying age we will know for sure then (so far my silkie is the only layer and we only get 3-5 tiny eggs per week) but I just am trying to look ahead and see what could work down the road, if seeing we could keep all 6 peacefully or we need to send a rooster back.

Space isn’t an issue as of now, they’ve got full run of the yard when we’re home, and locked in a 6x8 fully fenced in run when we’re not, and all roost together at night in their 12x8 shed/coop.

Im open to any advice/constructive criticism, and possible theories on the RI’s sex! I will include pictures of the two RI’s. (Nugget is the female RI with black on her tail and a smaller comb, Plum is the suspected rooster with larger and redder comb/waddle)

These are the best images i able to include atm, but come friday I can post more if needed.
Thanks! - Addison
52AD77DB-FD78-4313-86A4-B6A8D27A545F.png

B7F5DB02-A414-48EB-9A9F-A093DCBA8FC4.png
B730D27F-0AB2-4ED3-9D0A-3599043BCB86.jpeg
32724608-AD31-42CD-A5BC-085F38CB150B.jpeg
52AD77DB-FD78-4313-86A4-B6A8D27A545F.png

Hi, this is my first post here. I am a first time chicken owner with a flock of 5 hens and a rooster.... or so we thought.

A bit of backstory: my dads friend is a HUUUGE chicken fanatic- she has over 200 chickens and countless more turkeys. She was so kind enough to lend me some for the summer and they will go back in the fall.

A month ago, we picked the now 1 year old silkie rooster, 11 month old silkie hen, 16-17 week old lavender orpington bonded with the 16-17 week old amercauna mix hen and a little 13-14 week old rhode island red hen. About 2 weeks ago we picked up another rhode island chick, except she wasn’t so sure on this ones sex. She was pretty sure she’s a she as the chick lacked hackle and saddle feathers yet the chick’s comb and waddles were considerably larger than the other RI hen chick’s, as well as tiny spurs coming in. I’m still on the fence about this one as I read that hens can have large waddles/combs and spurs.

Here’s the catch. The two RI have bonded wonderfully, and we have what we call “the buddy system” as each chicken has their appropriate counterpart. I’m nervous about the fact that the she may as well be a he and the potential fights that she will get in with my rooster (whos not necessarily aggressive but watchful and protective). As we get closer to the egg laying age we will know for sure then (so far my silkie is the only layer and we only get 3-5 tiny eggs per week) but I just am trying to look ahead and see what could work down the road, if seeing we could keep all 6 peacefully or we need to send a rooster back.

Space isn’t an issue as of now, they’ve got full run of the yard when we’re home, and locked in a 6x8 fully fenced in run when we’re not, and all roost together at night in their 12x8 shed/coop.

Im open to any advice/constructive criticism, and possible theories on the RI’s sex! I will include pictures of the two RI’s. (Nugget is the female RI with black on her tail and a smaller comb, Plum is the suspected rooster with larger and redder comb/waddle)

These are the best images i able to include atm, but come friday I can post more if needed.
Thanks! - AddisonView attachment 2688811
View attachment 2688812View attachment 2688813View attachment 2688814View attachment 2688811
I think I see a pair, a male and a female :)

Thanks! - Addison

Thank you for the responses everyone! I was in denial about little Plum’s sex, but it’s quite obvious he’s a rooster now! I’m hoping when he matures he will be able to get along with my current silkie rooster as he’s known him from a young age and they stick to their own but we’ll see! The chicks seem to grow every day, here’s what Plum and Nugget look like now. Nugget has got a bigger comb than my 18 week old hens!

Attachments

• 0B8B190D-732E-4F07-B137-D2A0BD827B5E.jpeg
    0B8B190D-732E-4F07-B137-D2A0BD827B5E.jpeg
    723.3 KB · Views: 7
  • D1ACA92A-1E46-4631-BD89-10694E614E3F.jpeg
    D1ACA92A-1E46-4631-BD89-10694E614E3F.jpeg
    989.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 61CC6DD2-0216-475F-A7C8-35A33CFB5CFD.jpeg
    61CC6DD2-0216-475F-A7C8-35A33CFB5CFD.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom