First Time Egg Candler Scared!

This is the "best" thread I've read so far.  Easy questions, wonderful insight and answers...just a joy to read and learn...thank you so much...

This has been a good thread! I just quickly reviewed it all and realized I never updated about my hatch. I locked down 14 LO's and 10 hatched. One quit about day 19ish, one started zipping and got about half way and died. The final 2 just never pipped, and appeared perfect when I opened them, so they must have just been weak chicks.

LO (Lavendar orpington)
wink.png

I have a hen that just wants to sit on the eggs, so I need to know how to candle them. I have used a flash light with the egg on top of a toilet paper roll,
but have not been able to see anything. Is there a better way?

I have a hen that just wants to sit on the eggs, so I need to know how to candle them. I have used a flash light with the egg on top of a toilet paper roll,
but have not been able to see anything. Is there a better way?
When you candle, candle down into the egg from the air cell end. This will illuminate your aircell and give you a decent picture of what's going on in the eggs (if they aren't too dark.) I just use my hand around the top of the flashlight to funnel light, and hold the fat end of the egg up to the light, like this:

When you candle, candle down into the egg from the air cell end. This will illuminate your aircell and give you a decent picture of what's going on in the eggs (if they aren't too dark.) I just use my hand around the top of the flashlight to funnel light, and hold the fat end of the egg up to the light, like this:

By the way its day 4 of my silkie egg incubation, out of 17 I have some winners. Hopefully none will quite on me!!!

Back
Top Bottom