First Time Egg Candler Scared!

There are other issues that low/high humidity causes in regards to the chick themselves. Those, are what I have found through researching the topic are the basic "hatching" issues in regards to humidity.

I'd like to know Amy mythology of incubating. I obviously did not get a good incubator for the first time, a still air, and it is hard to regulate the temperature and humidity. Again, first time in bator and I bought the expensive eggs from EBay. You learn the hard way. I do...the only one to hatch was one of mine. Didn't understand why the others I bought didn't hatch. Almost but something happened at lock down...sad....Would love to hear what I am doing incorrectly...I have three thermometers and two hydrometers. All say something different...sad again..

There are other issues that low/high humidity causes in regards to the chick themselves. Those, are what I have found through researching the topic are the basic "hatching" issues in regards to humidity.

I wish I knew what you know and more than I thought I knew when I bought my bator and what went wrong with my first hatch....

What happens if the eggs cool while your doing candling?
Nothing. Actually the cooling of the eggs mimic the naturally cooling period that eggs under a broody get when momma goes for a stroll to eat and well....girly stuff...
wink.png
Actually some of your higher end incubators (Brinsea for one) is including a cool off period that you can set so that your incubator will automatically cool down each day. Of course, it should be kept to a minimum. I was always told keep it to a half hour.

Last edited:
I wish I knew what you know and more than I thought I knew when I bought my bator and what went wrong with my first hatch....
I wsh I did before my first hatch too.
wink.png
I lost all but one chick in my first hatch because I relied on a brand new thermometer and didn't check it. It ended up being way off. A lessoned I learned the hard way. After that I armed myself with three thermometers and did a lot of research and found the low humidity incubation resources (dry method). I tweaked it to work for me and been using it ever since. My methodology can be found here: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

I feel the most important thing (next to having an incubator that will hold a steady temp) is accurate gages and monitoring air cells to know if your humidity is accurate.
The blog still has much to cover in the whole, but I am especially delighted with how the humidity post turned out.

This is the "best" thread I've read so far. Easy questions, wonderful insight and answers...just a joy to read and learn...thank you so much...

Thanks Amy. Should I wait until day 14 to throw out the browns? Should I toss the yellow eggs now? I purchased them all and I thought that many of them were porous.
sad.png
The SLWs are from someone that does not sell eggs though in his defense. He typically only sells chicks and I asked him for some eggs. SLW eggs for $1 a piece isn't too bad.

The BLRs on the other hand have a lot of porous eggs and they were $35 for the eggs.
idunno.gif

What are BLR's? and the other as well? I too paid $35 for 12 eggs and $15 shipping to have none hatch. My fault, first hatch.

Back
Top Bottom