First time hatching. Day 22 need advice

I just checked your first pic again. It looks like yours didn't pip into the air sac. So it did it's internal and external pips at the same time. So it will probably take alot longer than first anticipated. Usually it can take around 24hrs from internal pip to external pip. Then it can take upto 12-24 hrs from external pip to zip. The zip is fairly quick. It is probably still absorbing the yolk and vessels. Just make sure those membranes stay moist. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ok thank you. I really appreciate it. I've been trying to wet with water every two hours. Can I use a+d ointment? I'm afraid for when I go to bed haha.

The chick should be able to push out. If the membrane becomes to dry you can try and peel it back very slowly, but if you see blood, stop moisten and put back in the bator.

No progress in 36+ hours, I'd have intervened long ago.

In the part of the membrane that is visible, can you see blood vessels that look like those you saw while candling? If those have retracted, since it is a side pip, then the wait time should be over.

It should be safe to dampen the membrane and peel off the shell between the hole and the fat end of the egg, then open it up all around to the level of the hole. Work slowly and carefully, dampening the membrane as you go. When you are done, the larger end of the egg should be completely removed, and the chick should be partially exposed. Place the egg back in the incubator so that the chick's back is either to one side or to the top, not the bottom. This will help ensure that the chick's neck isn't pulled upside down when he untucks his head.

If at any time you find fresh blood in the membrane, stop immediately and continue to wait.

Allow the chick to push out of the shell when he's ready, but after this long he may be too exhausted to do so and you may need to prompt/assist just a little. If you see blood vessels or yolk near the thighs, again stop and wait.

Last edited:
Thank you. I was hoping to hear back before bed. I'll try to loosen a bit at least. It's just still sitting there. I feel so bad

I gritted my teeth after reading a lot and watching a few videos and with your advice I helped the chick out. I was very careful. But as I went I could tell it was ready. And a big sigh of relief as I looked near its leg and saw no yolk left. Yay!

A chick is born!!! Our first! I put him back (think its a rooster) in the incubator. I turned the other egg that was hatching feet first up so that its beak was pointed up. Also moistened that one too.
These eggs are Swedish flowers and Swedish flower/black sex link mix. So far I'm pretty sure it's two mixes that are hatching.

Back
Top Bottom