First time hatching. Day 22 need advice

It seems to be getting stronger. I have been doing physio therapy on its legs. I hobbled legs with a bandaid. Give a few drops of nutri drench twice a day. She started to drink on her own today. I have the rooster boost with electrolytes, probiotics and vitamins in the water. I picked up some playmates fornher today as she was on her own. She is slowly improving. I also put her in a shot glass to help strengthen her legs. She managed to get out this afternoon. I haven't really seen her eat much yet. I hope yours gets better.

Did your little chick do ok? Mine is still sitting. No idea if a deformity or not. Will drink when I put it to the water and pecks at the food a bit. Not splayed. One foot curls up when it sits and the other sticks out. But both feet can be spread normally when I hold it on my hand. It gets around a little with its wings. It's roommate pecks at it of course.

You may want to make a little shoe for the curled foot.

How is your baby doing today? I took the bandaid splint off mine today and she was like wahoo! Running all over. But still not eating properly. Drinking ok when I put her in front of the water. I try and get her to eat and drink every couple of hours.

My wife was posting earlier with my account. We work as a team with the animals, however this hatching process was all her since I was away helping my parents move over the weekend.

I will chime in on the subject though.

The one healthy chick is doing great. The "lame" chick is the same. We have seen no improvement in its ability to stand. It looks like its leg is out to the side. I'm not sure if it is going to get better. We will update again later.

-Mike

I haven't made a splint for it. It appears a little stronger. Trying electrolytes tonight. When I put it by the water it drank heartily on its own. I'm confused on how to make a splint. I'll post some pics.

You can see its hip sticking up and out on the right. Been like that since hatching.

It looks like a disjointed femur from those pics.

Since the option is culling, try a last ditch effort.

Hold the chick upside down in one palm and pin down the wings with your little finger and thumb. With the other hand, firmly but gently grasp both legs just above the feet, and apply VERY gentle traction. Then lift the chick from your left hand, allowing it to dangle from your right. Apply light traction again. Gently place the chick on the floor on its feed and look for any improvement in the way it holds its leg.

Is the leg twisted at the hip?
It looks like the femur has rotated outwards. Possibly dislocated as walnuthill says. If it is it could be popped back into place. Hoping for the best.

Ok so the healthy chick decided to splay on me. Right leg only. Not sure why as I have paper towels down and that seems to be good for traction. Anyway. I tried the rubber band method per an old post on here. And within not even 5 minutes this chick had it off. I did it again tighter and closer and within 2 minutes t had pecked it off. What do I do now??

Back
Top Bottom