First time hatching. Day 22 need advice

I gritted my teeth after reading a lot and watching a few videos and with your advice I helped the chick out. I was very careful. But as I went I could tell it was ready. And a big sigh of relief as I looked near its leg and saw no yolk left. Yay!

He's cute! Congratulations!

A chick is born!!! Our first! I put him back (think its a rooster) in the incubator. I turned the other egg that was hatching feet first up so that its beak was pointed up. Also moistened that one too.
These eggs are Swedish flowers and Swedish flower/black sex link mix. So far I'm pretty sure it's two mixes that are hatching.

This one is cute too! Off to a good start!

Those pictures were of the same chick. :) it's doing ok. It's still sitting. Not standing yet. However the other egg hatched on its own!! And it's already running around haha. There are two Swedish flower eggs that pipped too. Wrong side. So I turned them pip side up. Again on the side of the egg

The two chicks. The one on the right hatched sometime between 845-1200 (I was gone). And running around already.

The natural hatching process definitely gives chicks a head start in the world. Assisted chicks can and often do catch up, but they still need to go through the "train the muscles" process before they are up and about.

I've had assisted turkeys lay in the incubator for 24-36 hours after hatch, on their side, legs quivering and they look like they will surely die, then all of a sudden they are up and around and you can't tell which was which.

So I removed the two chicks to the brooder. They're mostly dry. Some parts are probably more gunk than being wet. I helped unzip the two Swedish flowers that pipped but touching their beaks did not result in any movement or peeping. I think they're dead :( one larger egg (mix) I noticed had pipped too since I last checked this afternoon. No peeping or movement from that one either so I just let it sit again. No assistance for that one yet. Membrane looks ok. Not dry like the others.

Did your little chick do ok? Mine is still sitting. No idea if a deformity or not. Will drink when I put it to the water and pecks at the food a bit. Not splayed. One foot curls up when it sits and the other sticks out. But both feet can be spread normally when I hold it on my hand. It gets around a little with its wings. It's roommate pecks at it of course.

Back
Top Bottom