First time incubating - so excited!!

Thank you, we may try that.  We wet him down with warm, wet, paper towels while trying to remove the membrane last night, because it was virtually impossible without wetting it down,  It is possible there's a little more stuck to his back.  Thanks for this suggestion.  Do you have pictures of the duck with the curled toe without the boot on?  I think ours may have a curled toe as well, but I really don't know what's normal - these are our first ducklings!

I don't have any before pictures of her toes, no. But I found some on the Internet that might give you a good idea. It usually happens when the duck has been in the egg too long, and their foot doesn't spread out right. Sometimes it might correct itself, but it's important to correct it early or the duck couple be deformed permanently. I've had to do it to two ducks before. The first time, we used a small duck-foot-shaped piece of cardboard and bandaids, and it had to stay on for two days. That duckling had been shipped and the foot was curled for three days during shipment before we had a chance to correct it. But with Snowflake we just used painters tape, and it only needed to be on for a day. The tape comes off easily enough if you let it soak for a bit while they play in a shallow bath.

Here is the method I used. I saw this posted on this site a while back and I saved the picture

Other examples of curled foot

Last edited:
They all seem to be doing pretty good. They are eating, drinking, and running around. Here is a quick video of the happy ducklings.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom