SoSabrinaMarie

Hatching
May 24, 2019
I rescued a little poult from the hardware store, the others were walking all over her. I took her home in the hopes we can fix her leg and she can be a new family member.
So here’s what’s going on with Little Foot’s leg. When in the store it was out sideways and she wasn’t really walking on it. Sitting a lot. I thought it was a splay leg so I made her a hobble. It seemed to help pull it in at first but her hock joint was getting swollen. I did more research and found it was probably a slipped tendon. After more searching I found how to reset it. I did (I assume since I’ve never done it before) and put a little brace made out of a nerf dart and vet wrap. It seemed to work but then she stopped walking on it all together. I tried to put the hobble to help her because with the splint her leg goes straight out to the side and she can’t balance. But the leg doesn’t bend with the splint so that didn’t work. After more digging I found she might have a dislocated joint. I watched how to set it back in place. I did that and made sure (as best I could) that the tendon was in place then wrapped it. It really seemed to improve this time. She was putting some weight on it, the toes were facing he correct way and she was getting around better. But by morning the splint was bending and it seemed her leg had shifted back again. Today I tried to reset it but it doesn’t look as straight as the first time. I have her in a chick cup so she doesn’t put any weight on it in hopes The splint won’t shift and bend.
My questions:
Am I doing this right? How long does she stay in the chick cup? Do I rewear it everyday or leave it on for a while? Do I need to get up every few hours I. The night to feed her or does she sleep through the night (she’s about 2 1/2 weeks old)? Really any tips are welcome. We have grown quite attached to Little Foot and want to help her and keep her.

Attachments

• 521CAF50-4E24-4EFC-AB6C-35175F534674.jpeg
    521CAF50-4E24-4EFC-AB6C-35175F534674.jpeg
    616.7 KB · Views: 21
  • D9E875A2-09D9-42E6-9CB4-65503E6CABB5.jpeg
    D9E875A2-09D9-42E6-9CB4-65503E6CABB5.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 3F888404-45C3-4AAF-BD08-C85A9604720A.jpeg
    3F888404-45C3-4AAF-BD08-C85A9604720A.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 5
I rescued a little poult from the hardware store, the others were walking all over her. I took her home in the hopes we can fix her leg and she can be a new family member.
So here’s what’s going on with Little Foot’s leg. When in the store it was out sideways and she wasn’t really walking on it. Sitting a lot. I thought it was a splay leg so I made her a hobble. It seemed to help pull it in at first but her hock joint was getting swollen. I did more research and found it was probably a slipped tendon. After more searching I found how to reset it. I did (I assume since I’ve never done it before) and put a little brace made out of a nerf dart and vet wrap. It seemed to work but then she stopped walking on it all together. I tried to put the hobble to help her because with the splint her leg goes straight out to the side and she can’t balance. But the leg doesn’t bend with the splint so that didn’t work. After more digging I found she might have a dislocated joint. I watched how to set it back in place. I did that and made sure (as best I could) that the tendon was in place then wrapped it. It really seemed to improve this time. She was putting some weight on it, the toes were facing he correct way and she was getting around better. But by morning the splint was bending and it seemed her leg had shifted back again. Today I tried to reset it but it doesn’t look as straight as the first time. I have her in a chick cup so she doesn’t put any weight on it in hopes The splint won’t shift and bend.
My questions:
Am I doing this right? How long does she stay in the chick cup? Do I rewear it everyday or leave it on for a while? Do I need to get up every few hours I. The night to feed her or does she sleep through the night (she’s about 2 1/2 weeks old)? Really any tips are welcome. We have grown quite attached to Little Foot and want to help her and keep her.
Get some vitamin B complex (readily available in the vitamin section of any grocery store) and mix it up at the rate of 1/2 tablet or capsule to one gallon of water. Make it the only source of water and it should be made fresh daily.

Perosis (slipped tendon) is due to a thiamine and niacin deficiency both of which are B vitamins and will be available in a good vitamin B complex.

Turkeys are very social birds. If you plan to keep this one as a pet, you should get some more poults to keep it company.

Get some vitamin B complex (readily available in the vitamin section of any grocery store) and mix it up at the rate of 1/2 tablet or capsule to one gallon of water. Make it the only source of water and it should be made fresh daily.

Perosis (slipped tendon) is due to a thiamine and niacin deficiency both of which are B vitamins and will be available in a good vitamin B complex.

Turkeys are very social birds. If you plan to keep this one as a pet, you should get some more poults to keep it company.
I took her because they were trying to hurt her. If I put more with her they will most likely do the same. We are giving her lots of attention and I have a mirror so she won’t get lonely.
It doesn’t seem to be just a slipped tendon. Presents more like a dislocation that caused a slipped tendon. Like from an injury.

x2
buddy took one to the vet and said it was caused by nutritional deficiency $150 later the vet gave it a shot for B and selenium

I started the Vitamin B complex in her water. How long should I expect before the problem starts to improve? Do I give her the B Complex for a while or forever? Sorry, first time so not sure what to expect.

I started the Vitamin B complex in her water. How long should I expect before the problem starts to improve? Do I give her the B Complex for a while or forever? Sorry, first time so not sure what to expect.
I don't know. It should have the supplements at least until it is healed. Once you have it on an age appropriate turkey food you can discontinue the vitamin B complex. From 0 to 6 - 8 weeks, poults should be on a high protein turkey or gamebird starter. The next 6 weeks should be a turkey or gamebird grower (usually 24% protein). After that they can have a good 20% protein all flock feed.

Those feeds will contain the proper amount of protein, lysine, methionine and niacin for the age they are at.

Back
Top Bottom