First Time With Cornish X's

Everyone seems to be doing great so far! The temperatures are in the 70's here during the day, so I'm turning their heat lamp off for the day then putting it back on in the evening.

I cleaned everyone out yesterday, the weather was pretty nice (78) so I put them in the temporary pen. I gave them a dish of food in the vain attempt at saving the nice clean brooder at least one meal of destruction. I know it's bad, but man, they eat until they look like their crops are going to explode. Then they carry on eating. Can they have spontaneous crop explosion? I can't believe how much they pack into there.

Apparently the Louisiana heat was too intense for them though.

I got some inaccurate weights, mostly because they all had full crops. Smallest was just over a pound, largest was 1lb 8oz. Majority were 1lb 4-6oz.

Just for fun, Cuckoo Maran ship-mate
smile.png

We got our first batch of X's on Feb 25 - just when I think I'll be able to turn them out, we're supposed to have a FRIGID week here in Kentucky. Grrr.....we have 23 in a brooder downstairs in the unfinished bathroom and OMG the stink! We're changing out pine bedding every other day at the longest. They're going through two 1-gal waterers 3x/daily, and about 12-14 lbs feed during the 12 hours they have food each day. They are little piglets/piranhas, for sure!

We got our first batch of X's on Feb 25 - just when I think I'll be able to turn them out, we're supposed to have a FRIGID week here in Kentucky. Grrr.....we have 23 in a brooder downstairs in the unfinished bathroom and OMG the stink! We're changing out pine bedding every other day at the longest. They're going through two 1-gal waterers 3x/daily, and about 12-14 lbs feed during the 12 hours they have food each day. They are little piglets/piranhas, for sure!

The smell was quite surprising to me. I go through periods of thinking Cornish are just so unnatural and I don't want to deal with them again. I think I will feel better once they are out in the yard in a tractor though. They will be three weeks old tomorrow so I'm hoping to ditch the heat soon.

Everyone seems to be doing great so far! The temperatures are in the 70's here during the day, so I'm turning their heat lamp off for the day then putting it back on in the evening. I cleaned everyone out yesterday, the weather was pretty nice (78) so I put them in the temporary pen. I gave them a dish of food in the vain attempt at saving the nice clean brooder at least one meal of destruction. I know it's bad, but man, they eat until they look like their crops are going to explode. Then they carry on eating. Can they have spontaneous crop explosion? I can't believe how much they pack into there. Apparently the Louisiana heat was too intense for them though. I got some inaccurate weights, mostly because they all had full crops. Smallest was just over a pound, largest was 1lb 8oz. Majority were 1lb 4-6oz. Just for fun, Cuckoo Maran ship-mate :)
They look great!!!!!!! Good job!

We got our first batch of X's on Feb 25 - just when I think I'll be able to turn them out, we're supposed to have a FRIGID week here in Kentucky.  Grrr.....we have 23 in a brooder downstairs in the unfinished bathroom and OMG the stink!  We're changing out pine bedding every other day at the longest.  They're going through two 1-gal waterers 3x/daily, and about 12-14 lbs feed during the 12 hours they have food each day.  They are little piglets/piranhas, for sure!

I know that same smell. :sick

We got our first batch of X's on Feb 25 - just when I think I'll be able to turn them out, we're supposed to have a FRIGID week here in Kentucky.  Grrr.....we have 23 in a brooder downstairs in the unfinished bathroom and OMG the stink!  We're changing out pine bedding every other day at the longest.  They're going through two 1-gal waterers 3x/daily, and about 12-14 lbs feed during the 12 hours they have food each day.  They are little piglets/piranhas, for sure!

The smell was quite surprising to me. I go through periods of thinking Cornish are just so unnatural and I don't want to deal with them again. I think I will feel better once they are out in the yard in a tractor though. They will be three weeks old tomorrow so I'm hoping to ditch the heat soon.

Heat will not be good for them. I'm so glad i'm almost done with mine. :/

Heat will not be good for them. I'm so glad i'm almost done with mine.
hmm.png

I was hoping to sneak them in and then out of this life before it got too wickedly hot here. We have another 5 weeks to go though.

When did you take the heat off yours? I know it's hard to compare because you raised yours through some really cold snaps.

Heat will not be good for them. I'm so glad i'm almost done with mine. :/

I was hoping to sneak them in and then out of this life before it got too wickedly hot here. We have another 5 weeks to go though.

When did you take the heat off yours? I know it's hard to compare because you raised yours through some really cold snaps.

If I had another 5 weeks with mine, I would process MYSELF!!! :gig

It took me a whle to take the heat off. I'm scary because I think they might freeze, so I had overkill.:oops:

If I had another 5 weeks with mine, I would process MYSELF!!!
gig.gif

It took me a whle to take the heat off. I'm scary because I think they might freeze, so I had overkill.
hide.gif

Yours have to be, what, 16 weeks or so by now?!
lol.png

Ours are getting quite cramped in the brooder, so we will start working on the tractor tomorrow. I don't think I would ever do more than 25 at a time. Depending on how this all goes, I'm hoping to do another batch in the fall.

If I had another 5 weeks with mine, I would process MYSELF!!! :gig

It took me a whle to take the heat off. I'm scary because I think they might freeze, so I had overkill.:oops:

Yours have to be, what, 16 weeks or so by now?:lol:  

Ours are getting quite cramped in the brooder, so we will start working on the tractor tomorrow. I don't think I would ever do more than 25 at a time. Depending on how this all goes, I'm hoping to do another batch in the fall.

:yuckyuck

:lau

LOL @ 16 weeks :lau :old They are as old as the man in this pic. :lau

I will NEVER do 100 EVER EVER EVER again. I can deal with 25. That's a good number. I may may may try 50 but no more.

Back
Top Bottom