Flies no more!! Found the perfect fly repellent.

Four weeks ago, I changed out of the deep litter in my run. I scoped out mostly the manure powder into my drum compost bin. Overnight, the nitrogen and carbon balance was off, the compost smelled horrifically while the flies swarmed in from nowhere. I hung up fly tapes near the compost bin, did not work. Even inside of the adjacent shed was full of flies after a few days. Then I hung up these vanilla car tree fresheners as suggested here, instantly (well, the next day), the flies were gone! Meanwhile, I added more carbon in the compost and got that process under control, no more smell. It has been 4 weeks and there is still no flies! Each week, I spray the concentrated vanilla scent to freshen the "trees", so far, so good. Thanks for this simple and brilliant idea for fly repellent!

Four weeks ago, I changed out of the deep litter in my run. I scoped out mostly the manure powder into my drum compost bin. Overnight, the nitrogen and carbon balance was off, the compost smelled horrifically while the flies swarmed in from nowhere. I hung up fly tapes near the compost bin, did not work. Even inside of the adjacent shed was full of flies after a few days. Then I hung up these vanilla car tree fresheners as suggested here, instantly (well, the next day), the flies were gone! Meanwhile, I added more carbon in the compost and got that process under control, no more smell. It has been 4 weeks and there is still no flies! Each week, I spray the concentrated vanilla scent to freshen the "trees", so far, so good. Thanks for this simple and brilliant idea for fly repellent!

So where did you buy the "concentrated spray" auto zone?
Thanks

I've used the fly traps you buy at most farm an garden stores. I'm thinking they are making the problem worse by attracting them to my yard. Stopped by Walmart yesterday and got a 3 pack of the vanilla air fresheners and hung by my back door. (That's where most of them hand out). Hoping when I get home they're gone, are at least most of them are.

Last edited:
Haven't had a fly at my place for the past 3-4 yrs now. Feeding fermented feed takes the attractant of poop out of the equation, as it no longer has undigested feed matter in it to make it stink and attract flies. Then using a cultured, managed deep litter system works to keep the manure digested via bugs and worms that rise to the nutrients also keeps the attraction level down. We see no flies at all, either out in the yard or in the very open air coop. No smells either. And I never clean out the coop...haven't done that for 3 1/2 yrs now and it smells of nothing but fresh in there.

These are a little more permanent fixes for flies than the vanilla trees, though the trees are really great for that purpose on a temporary basis. I used them before I started the FF and DL and they work for a little while, but one has to keep buying them and switching them out.

I have no problems with flies in either the coop or run. I have a vanilla tree hanging in the coop, not sure if that's why. The covered run is dry with DL. The coop has pine shavings.

I've had no success with hanging the trees. My best success has come from spraying my girls down with oils, but that takes effort, and only lasts a couple of days.

Tell me about this fermented feed. I know eating fermented foods is great for we humans. What do you use for your chickens?

Thanks!

Haven't had a fly at my place for the past 3-4 yrs now. Feeding fermented feed takes the attractant of poop out of the equation, as it no longer has undigested feed matter in it to make it stink and attract flies. Then using a cultured, managed deep litter system works to keep the manure digested via bugs and worms that rise to the nutrients also keeps the attraction level down. We see no flies at all, either out in the yard or in the very open air coop. No smells either. And I never clean out the coop...haven't done that for 3 1/2 yrs now and it smells of nothing but fresh in there.

These are a little more permanent fixes for flies than the vanilla trees, though the trees are really great for that purpose on a temporary basis. I used them before I started the FF and DL and they work for a little while, but one has to keep buying them and switching them out.

I've had no success with hanging the trees. My best success has come from spraying my girls down with oils, but that takes effort, and only lasts a couple of days.

Tell me about this fermented feed. I know eating fermented foods is great for we humans. What do you use for your chickens?

Thanks!

There's a link in my signature that will take you to a blog site that explains all the ins and outs of making your own fermented feeds, what the benefits are, how to feed it, etc. It has so many benefits that it's crazy and it's crazy simple to do, also. Saves me money, makes my chickens healthier, keeps their environment cleaner...there's really no down side to it.

I tried the vanilla christmas tree car air fresheners and it right away!! Still have tons of biting flies in the yard but none on me or in the coops any longer.I didnt think it would work honestly. A three pack for a couple bucks is the best deal anywhere to rid myself of flies. Not sure about mosquitoes. I think there were less but still some bothering me.

I was wondering how the imitation vanilla extract works vs. pure vanilla extract? any difference? I'm having trouble with flies and gnats on my 9 week old peacocks, they are chewing them up and they have been scratching themselves and now have a couple spots on the back of their heads that started to bleed. I put some Vaseline on their necks to try and create a barrier so they can try to heal up and then sprayed some imitation vanilla extract on them, but I was wondering if I should go and buy the pure extract or if the imitation would work. Or if there are any other ideas on how to help them out I would GREATLY appreciate any advise!!

Have the vanilla scented Christmas trees continued to work for you? The heat of summer has hit, and the flies are out. I am going over to Walgren's, but I'd love an update. I will be absolutely thrilled and thankful if this simple solution does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom