Flies no more!! Found the perfect fly repellent.

Watch the chickens too. Certain scents that are not bothersome to us, or harmful to us, are reportedly harmful to them. Diana (dlhunicorn) may have some info on this.
JJ (also jjthink but can't seem to get that to work at work, where I've come up for air for a few minutes
smile.png
)

Or more specifally I would think a smaller dose than what would harm us may harm a bird. Think Canary in the mine. If there was enough of an issue to kill the canary it was time to get the heck out of there.

5 lb chicken vs 250 lb man big difference in dosage.

exactly not sure what the toxic aromas might be. I know of plenty of things that stink, but often it is the stuff you cant smell (Carbon monoxide) that will get ya.

Quote:

Ok well I used 1 tree in my 5' x 8' run. My chicken house is very small and flies are not an issue in there. The issue is in the run. I feel like it's a crazy swarm in there.

Anywho, followed the directions for car use and exposed only a section. Didn't see any this morning, but there where a lot when I got home.

My next scientific experiment step is to expose more tree. I can smell the fresh car smell all over the back yard already. If that doesn't work, I plan to expose the whole tree. And if that doesn't work, I will try extract instead. If that doesn't work, then the theory has been busted in my book. But, on to step two tommorrow.

I know a couple of ladies that carry a bottle of vanilla extract in their purses to use as a mosquito repellent. Just dab it on like perfume and it keeps them away.

Vanilla seems to be working or maybe the temp. in the 100's, but certainly less flies. I bought mine at the regular store 99 cents.

got ours at the Dollar General~3 for $2.25

Put the rest of them out there last night...may get a couple more
Yesterday afternoon there were quite a few flies in the run when I went out there, but this morning I saw NONE...will report back in a couple of days..
May need to move the one in the coop from the window...The entire front of our coop is open..

Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom