Flies no more!! Found the perfect fly repellent.

My hens are right next to one of the worst alleys in Chicago so regardless we have flies. I've been hitting them by the dozen with a fly swatter on the poops and the hens know that the CRACK sound means treats!
lol.png

It wasn't until today that the flies started to bug me. I was sitting in a lawn chair near the coop, watching my chickens, when I looked at the grassy ground. Where there were leafy plants, there were flies on them. Dozens. Of. Flies. And they looked pretty young too.

I'll add that to the list of things to buy tomorrow at the grocery store.
big_smile.png

I love this idea! I am planning on getting some, but DH thinks it will be a waste of money because they would dry out immediately. Can anyone tell me how long a vanilla tree is lasting in your side of the coop? (neck of the woods)

I have also looked but only found a three pack at Wal-mart. Where did you find the 12 pack again? His smelly "bags" last two weeks or so. Has anyone had that kind of trck record?
Don't worry, I'm going to do it anyway but was hoping t site some unscirntific facts.
caf.gif

Can anyone tell me how long a vanilla tree is lasting in your side of the coop?

Day 12 - Tree under dining table on the front terrace (36-40C daytime temps)

There were a few more flies about yesterday, but I traced them to a giant chicken poop about 8 metres away from the table on the grass, so I can't really blame the tree.

It's definitely losing some of it's fragrance but I still get a whiff of it.
I guess the flies have a better sense of smell than me, they found the giant chicken poop loooong before I did.

I'm very pleased with the performance on flies and especially the anti-mosquito properties at night.​

After 2 weeks I've been recharging the trees with the same brand/fragrance that comes in a small aerosol can. I hold the nozzle right up to the tree and give it a quick burst or two. This give it enough recharge for another couple of weeks.

I found he aerosol a Auto Zone. I found the 12 packs of the trees at Pep Boys.

Day 16 - Tree under dining table on the front terrace

They're baaaaack !!!

OK, so there I was all set to enjoy my lunch today when the minute I sat down, buzz, buzz, buzz - a dozen flies couldn't wait to spit on my lunch (and in my coffee).
I reckoned that the original tree was losing some of it's smell (or I was losing some of my sense of smell).

I whipped out a new one and within five minutes I could eat my lunch in peace again.

It is truly amazing. I honestly didn't think it was going to work but it does AND it keeps mosquitos away which I think is actually better than the fly effect, we only get flies for about two or three months but we get mosquitos all year round.

Back to Day 1.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom