Flies no more!! Found the perfect fly repellent.

Quote:
I'm telling you this is the truth!! I went through 2 days ago and gave each tree a quick recharge with the aerosol spray. We have had absolutely NO flies in our coops since hanging the trees a couple of months ago.

I've been having a problem with flies inside my quail pen, especially on hot days, so after reading through the first few pages of this thread I went out and bought a 3 pack of "Vanillaroma" air fresheners from Wal-Mart, as seen here:

2m7st1i.jpg

My only concern is, will the scent do anything to harm the quail? They're caged in a section of the room and the air fresheners would be hanging from the ceiling so they wouldn't be able to reach the air fresheners to eat them or anything, I'm just worried about odor or fumes bothering them...the room they're in is a pretty small, enclosed area although it does have a high ceiling. I don't want to nauseate them or harm them in any other way by putting the air fresheners in there with them but I do definitely want to get rid of the flies. So what do you think, putting the air fresheners in there, good idea or bad?

We ran out of human insect repellent and I had to be outside around the barn yesterday so I rubbed one of the "trees" all over my legs and arms and it kept the mosquitoes away for about 5 hours.

I read about using fabric softener sheets too, but forgot about that until I was typing this!

Thank you!!! I hung three trees around the run...NO MORE FLIES!!! Good to know about the potential mosquito repellent properties too!
ya.gif

Last edited:
They do work!! I didn't believe it really kept the flies away so I bought the trees and the flies were gone!
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Slightly OT: some of you were asking how to repell mosquitos.. for the past three years I have used blue mouthwash as a mosquito repellant and it has worked better than any DEET-containing product. And if you happen to be allergic to the aluminum in underarm deodorant like I am, mouthwash also makes a great alternative deo.

I dont' have any chickens yet to try the vanilla tree trick, but thanks for the tip.. I'll give it a try next summer!

After the last week here with humidity in the 90's along with temps in the 90's and a heat index of 105-110.....if this vanilla tree wasn't going to work it would have failed by now.

But after "recharging" the trees with the spray, there still aren't any flies in the coops, barn, porches or house. Just amazing!!! Wish I had known this when I managed the horse farm.

OK sooo I cleaned out my coops the other day and threw out my trees and the day after flies
barnie.gif
I had new ones but was sooo glad to be done cleaning out the pens in this heat I totally forgot to hang them
smack.gif

Well put them back up
woot.gif
I love them
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom