Flies no more!! Found the perfect fly repellent.

I just noticed that there is an "extra strength" Vanillaroma Tree available. I noticed that last years trees seem to be stronger and last longer than the ones this year, so I'm wondering if that is the issue.

I ordered some of the "xtra strength" ones off Amazon today, so I'll keep you posted on the results.

i am so excited to try this!! Someone earlier in the thread said another scent worked too - do we think that it is simply the overpowering scent that works or actually the vanilla? I would love to try with the strawberry trees. If I make it to the autoparts store I'll get both scents and try it.
smile.png
Thanks!!

After reading about the Vanillaroma Tree's I just had to give it a try. This past weekend I picked up a 6 pack at Walmart. I put one on the back door, one above and in the chicken coop and three around the rabbit hutches. Well, I'll be darned.......they work!!!!!!! There has been an extreme drop in the number of flies hanging out in these areas! Not only that, but the number of flies in the stinky bag traps I have in other parts of the yard has jumped! I think the vanilla almost sends them running into the other traps. I am going to order some of the extra strength tree's off of Amazon for sure. Oh, I think that they smell like bubble gum, anyone else get that too?

Well the Xtra strength has pretty much take care of the flies inside the coops. There are still flies outside so I'm going to get some stinky traps and hang them away from the coops cause they make me gag!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
You have to put a shinny coin in the bag. Water alone doesn't work. This is my best guess.. Between the water and the coin and also the sun shine makes for some weird reflective light. Like that of which comes from a swimming pool.. Flies do not land on large bodies of water. Once they do they can not take back off.. So I'm guessing they stay away from the ziplock bags for this reason. Hang above your doors. We used this method while in afgahnistan years ago. And our tent always were fly free while everyone else had a tent full of flies.. :)

Has anyone tried anything like lavender or pine scent? I'd like to try this in my barn but I'm not sure I can handle cow poop mixed with vanilla !
sickbyc.gif

Also has anyone used those automatic scent releasers successfully?

Thank you so much for this excellent suggestion! Newbie backyard chicken farmer and had just started to get flies. Now, I won't have to deal with them.

I have had a really bad problem with flies (I'm new to this) so I searched flies on here and found this thread. When I read on here about the vanilla smell I thought of an idea. I sell Scentsy which is a wickless low watt bulb burner and you put a few pieces of a scent bar in your choice of flavor and it melts and the scents are concentrated so they're very strong. I put a Scentsy a few feet away from the chickens (they're still 5 weeks old and I'm keeping them indoors in rabbit cage). I also did the ziplock Baggie with water and bounce sheets. Lets just say it smells much better and within an hour I went from 1 million flies to only TWO!!!! Here is my Scentsy website and you can take a look: http://randakay.scentsy.us.

The vanilla scent repels gnats also. I'm from Illinois and you can go into almost any store and they sell a vanilla scented spray to repel gnats!

Back
Top Bottom