Floppy, shaky duckling who keeps falling on his back!

Hi, I'm jumping in here because this looks like a nice recent thread. I have one week old ducklings and two of them keep shaking their heads consistently like they have something stuck in there throat. They seem to still be eating and drinking but just today one of them stood up tall and then tipped over backwards. Has anyone heard of ducklings being deficient on niacin when the levels in their starter feed is what it should be? I'm giving them Scratch & Peck starter and wrote the company before feeding them and they said levels were enough for ducklings.

Their answer had been, "yes, our chick starter contains the appropriate amount of niacin for ducklings!"

Now they say "at 25 mg".

I believe 55mg/kg of feed (55 ppm) is the appropriate amount. I've asked them to clarify but frustrating if they think 1/2 the proper amount is sufficient.

Their answer had been, "yes, our chick starter contains the appropriate amount of niacin for ducklings!"

Now they say "at 25 mg".

I believe 55mg/kg of feed (55 ppm) is the appropriate amount. I've asked them to clarify but frustrating if they think 1/2 the proper amount is sufficient.
I read one article or study that suggested 70 ppm for Pekin ducks. :(

Heard back from Scratch & Peck. Their feed contains 25mg/pound of niacin so that should be sufficient for ducklings.

That makes a ton of sense. I'll keep supplementing. Does anyone know what a good dosage of vit E would be for ducklings? I have some vit E oil that says 32,000 IU. One duckling seems to have started stargazing at 11 days old

Back
Top Bottom