FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hmmmm......Really? Just any of my hens that lay brown eggs could produce an easter egger chick? What would my white egg layers have if I hatched the eggs? You have pictures of the rooster? I might try sweet talking the Hubby!! Where are you located?

Hmmmm......Really? Just any of my hens that lay brown eggs could produce an easter egger chick? What would my white egg layers have if I hatched the eggs? You have pictures of the rooster? I might try sweet talking the Hubby!! Where are you located?
I posted the picture first. Near Tallahassee.

Quote: I can relate. I hatched out around 200 chicks for myself and around 100 for a friend, a little over half turned out to be males of course. I have a feed store down the road from me that I get my feed from. The store has pens out back of it and I have taken many birds especially cockerels there and bartered for feed. Works out pretty good. Not long ago I had some of my project birds to re-home because I needed space for this years hatch. I took 22 project females from a Sex-Link project so I could not breed them because they were a mix and wouldn't breed true and 23 cockerels (not all at once). I do raise mostly heritage Rhode Island Whites and Rhode Island Reds. They are my current avatar. Good luck re-homing your boys, I feel for you..
oregonian_winesmiley.gif
mornincoffee.gif

I can relate. I hatched out around 200 chicks for myself and around 100 for a friend, a little over half turned out to be males of course. I have a feed store down the road from me that I get my feed from. The store has pens out back of it and I have taken many birds especially cockerels there and bartered for feed. Works out pretty good. Not long ago I had some of my project birds to re-home because I needed space for this years hatch. I took 22 project females from a Sex-Link project so I could not breed them because they were a mix and wouldn't breed true and 23 cockerels (not all at once). I do raise mostly heritage Rhode Island Whites and Rhode Island Reds. They are my current avatar. Good luck re-homing your boys, I feel for you..
oregonian_winesmiley.gif
mornincoffee.gif
I can't imagine that many roosters!
D.gif
Your RIR are beautiful!

Well I sure wish I could take one! I'd love to have one but my husband is not wanting me to get a rooster as we have one already! Good luck!

This is years ago, I wanted some males but my husband did not. I invested in a styrofoam incubator and thought it would be fun to hatch and it was. Now I had quite a few males. DH did have his favorite and when I went to sell some of the males he wanted to keep his special one which was OK by me as the cockerel was a fine bird and would work well with the breeding program I had in mind at the time. For each of my breeds I have one male and a spare just in case something would happen to one of them. One of my favorites, one morning when I went out to his coop, he was dead inside the coop with no indications of why he died during the night. I looked him over very good and felt nothing and didn't see anything. He was fine the evening before when I was out giving the birds their treats and collecting the eggs. Sometimes you just never know.

Back
Top Bottom