FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

My RIR and BR's have always gotten along. Funny, the Black Australorp we had was so mean, we ended up re-homing her...those are the ones so many people swear are cuddly sweet things. Ours was a terror. It all comes down to the individual bird I think.

My RIR and BR's have always gotten along. Funny, the Black Australorp we had was so mean, we ended up re-homing her...those are the ones so many people swear are cuddly sweet things. Ours was a terror. It all comes down to the individual bird I think.
There can be mean or aggressive birds in any breed. I had a couple of Production RIR hens that weren't aggressive towards people but were against the other birds in my flock. I gave them some time outs. One when I put them back in the pen after a week of being on a time out one was ok when I reintroduced her but another went back to her old habits of beating on the pullets. She was on them so roughly I thought she was going to kill them. She got another week of time out. I cut a second pop door into that coop because It had one pop door at that time and she would not let the pullets into the coop to get to the feeder. I also hung another feeder and waterer in their run. It did help but when she got the chance she would still beat on the pullets. Several times when I caught her I had a hose handy and would hit her with the water which really surprised her and she would get off of the pullet and run into the coop. I never completely cured her so eventually I had some birds I was taking to an auction and she went too. Maybe if she was in another environment she would act different as she would be the new one on the block or someones dinner. That was my only experience. In many years I have not had another aggressive bird like her. This is just my experience.

There can be mean or aggressive birds in any breed. I had a couple of Production RIR hens that weren't aggressive towards people but were against the other birds in my flock. I gave them some time outs. One when I put them back in the pen after a week of being on a time out one was ok when I reintroduced her but another went back to her old habits of beating on the pullets. She was on them so roughly I thought she was going to kill them. She got another week of time out. I cut a second pop door into that coop because It had one pop door at that time and she would not let the pullets into the coop to get to the feeder. I also hung another feeder and waterer in their run. It did help but when she got the chance she would still beat on the pullets. Several times when I caught her I had a hose handy and would hit her with the water which really surprised her and she would get off of the pullet and run into the coop. I never completely cured her so eventually I had some birds I was taking to an auction and she went too. Maybe if she was in another environment she would act different as she would be the new one on the block or someones dinner. That was my only experience. In many years I have not had another aggressive bird like her. This is just my experience.

I agree about aggressive birds in any breed. Your production red sounds similar to the BA I had. She was causing way too much drama in the coop. It was amazing how peaceful things were once she was gone!

Back
Top Bottom