FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Quote:
I have a mixed flock too. I do breed Heritage Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites but do have some other breeds in my general population coop and pen. I also know a lot of people that keep several breeds. I do hatch out and grow out all of my birds but I know that is not for everyone. Good luck in your search and have fun...

I personally prefer mixed flocks and was amazed at the recommendations to only have single breeds. We grew up with mixed flocks so that's what we're used to. However, I never had a flock of my own, nor in my immediate family. For me, it was at my grandma's house and I just had the fun of gathering eggs and such. My husband, he grew up in a self sustaining family, so he had the chickens and the rest of the farm to do chores with. When I told him I wanted to do some backyard chickens for fresh, no chemical eggs, he was OK with it but said it's on me, he's done enough farm chores to last a life time. LOL I love seeing a mixture of colors and variety in my lot but I'm certainly way more cautious about what birds I mix together, especially with a max flock of 6. I understand they're gonna have a pecking order, one will be top and one will be bottom, but I don't want to see any of my girls get picked on. Ignored, OK, but harassed, no.

Lisa

luvmy, there is a good thread on here Breeding For Production...Eggs and or Meat. Yes, it's good to begin, and stick with one type bird, especially in a smaller flock. Part of the reason for this is even with the same type birds, there will be a couple that are outstanding with the qualities you want, while there will be 1, or 2 that just aren't as good. Breeding the best of your stock, while culling out the lesser ones improves your overall stock. When you get your basic stock improved, then you might want to begin adding another line to improve certain characteristics. When first trying to breed for added benefits from another type bird, it can be somewhat of a crapshoot at first. While you are wanting all the "good" traits from the newly introduced line, you may get a lot of the traits you don't want, and it takes some time to get the new line optimized.

luvmychis - I appreciate your explanation. I had originally thought to have RIRs and BR as both were excellent egg layers and both had 'bossy' personalities but several folks on BYC pleaded the cause of the Australorps and I was convinced - they'd be a better mix and would be an excellent layer and should do fine with the BR, as well as manage Florida's heat like a champ AND be love bugs for my kids and myself. I know my kids and they are going to cuddle the chickens ... there's no getting around it.

A friend of mine who just got his chicks took some of all the breeds available - and while that is tempting ... I mean I'd like to try the Orps and the RIRs too, I figure sticking to two breeds will help me learn the breeds better and perhaps, manage my flock better. I am shooting for four hens and thus, and going to purchase six chicks - hoping for at least four surviving gals.

I tend to over think everything and while its tempting to just get all BRs (as I love their coloring and reputation) I really do want to try two breeds.

Last edited:
luvmychis - I appreciate your explanation. I had originally thought to have RIRs and BR as both were excellent egg layers and both had 'bossy' personalities but several folks on BYC pleaded the cause of the Australorps and I was convinced - they'd be a better mix and would be an excellent layer and should do fine with the BR, as well as manage Florida's heat like a champ AND be love bugs for my kids and myself. I know my kids and they are going to cuddle the chickens ... there's no getting around it.

A friend of mine who just got his chicks took some of all the breeds available - and while that is tempting ... I mean I'd like to try the Orps and the RIRs too, I figure sticking to two breeds will help me learn the breeds better and perhaps, manage my flock better. I am shooting for four hens and thus, and going to purchase six chicks - hoping for at least four surviving gals.

I tend to over think everything and while its tempting to just get all BRs (as I love their coloring and reputation) I really do want to try two breeds.

From my experierence raising Orpingtons as wall as Rhode Island Reds, There is a lot of differences. My Orpington's weren't the greatest layers. My Production Rhode Island Reds were very good layers as well as my Heritage Pure Rhode Island Reds. There are so many breeds available and all will do well in Florida as long as they have good shade and plenty of water. I do have auto waterers on all of my coops.

The side yard that the chickens will be in has a lot of shade from my citrus and avocado trees, as well as good ground cover from all the ferns in the yard - I don't grow grass per se, just let the fern grow over everything and we make paths through it - I'm sure the chickens will rearrange to their liking and that is fine by me.

The fella that is helping me build a coop also is making an automatic waterer for his coop and its likely I will be doing the same, with his help. I just have to purchase the PVC piping.

The side yard that the chickens will be in has a lot of shade from my citrus and avocado trees, as well as good ground cover from all the ferns in the yard - I don't grow grass per se, just let the fern grow over everything and we make paths through it - I'm sure the chickens will rearrange to their liking and that is fine by me.

The fella that is helping me build a coop also is making an automatic waterer for his coop and its likely I will be doing the same, with his help. I just have to purchase the PVC piping.
Just a suggestion, when you put your auto waterers in, my suggestion is to put in a shut off valve too. Once in a great while the valves in the waterers may get plugged up or malfunction and it's nice to be able to turn off the water to service the waterer. I put shut off valves on all of my coops. Good luck and have fun...

cmom, I had a blast looking through your coop photos - laughed a bit as a few baby chicks turned into a business. I also loved seeing your land , especially the Cypress dome behind your blueberries. I love cypress trees and they are growing so rare anymore.

I'm looking to find a Welsummer rooster. I live in Sarasota and would prefer to get him from somewhere local. If anyone knows of any please let me know. Thanks

Remember I said I love to see a mixture of colors in my flock? I'm such a chicken newbie to various breeds that I had no idea who was what. I just remember growing up with assorted colored chickens in the chicken yards. Same with everyone I know. I guess it's because no one was actually breeding for specific breeds. They just had chickens for eggs and food and let the birds figure out who was breeding who, hatching the eggs, and raising the chicks. Since being here, I've learned a lot about the various breeds and all the work involved in breeding them. I'm not into breeding or raising chicks at this point. Maybe in another lifetime. :) Anyway, it's great information and I'm trying to put it to use, as it pertains to my little flock of hens. Some of it gets confusing, about what applies how, and I have to go back and look stuff up. Like when I got my Orpingtons. One was white and she has white legs. I was sure this was correct, but then during some middle of the night because I can't sleep reading, I read something about white chickens having legs that go white with age after years of laying eggs (my interpretation of the post.) Well that through me, because I was sure that she was supposed to have white legs and white feet, so when I got up the next morning, back I went into research mode, and sure enough, I was right to start with. White Orpingtons are supposed to have white legs and feet, and that has nothing to do with age. It's other breeds of white chicken that are supposed to have yellow legs that the post applied to. I put that in the back of my brain for future reference. Apparently, when buying white chickens, you're supposed to watch for the color of the legs so you don't get fooled when buying a "young" white chicken with white legs on a breed that's supposed to have yellow legs. I try to research the breed before I get them but sometimes I get lost. You know that saying about too much information can be a bad things sometimes? LOL

Anyway, I as I said, I only have chickens for the eggs...and enjoyment of the chickens themselves. When I add to the flock, I look for a hen that lays brown eggs and is pretty...and preferably, a color I don't already have or something that makes her distinct. I've just completed my flock (unless a chocolate colored egg laying Maran comes my way) and this is what I have: 1 Rhode Island Red (I never knew there were different kinds. This one was given to me by my friend, who like me, just has chickens. I would assume it's what y'all call a production RIR?); 1 Orpington/Red Star, red sex linked); 1 Barred Rock; 1 Blue Laced Wyandotte/Cornish (at best guess from other here upon seeing her pictures); 1 Blue Orpington, English; I Black Orpington, English; 1 White Orpington, English; 2 Black Australorps They are all in various stages of molting, all on the up side so at least they are getting better at this point. I had no idea that molting took 6 weeks, nor that I was supposed to add a supplement with more protein. I just started that today. As of now, with 9 hens (which is one over my hard limit), I'm getting 3 eggs a day. Hopefully, that will improve now that I've added the supplements. We'll see.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom