FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I'm in the Florida panhandle, so I'm not sure Florida is the right place to meet nearby BYCers when Alabama and Georgia are closer than Tallahassee. Anybody else from Crestview or the Pensacola area? If not, how about Panama City Beach?

Anyway, I as I said, I only have chickens for the eggs...and enjoyment of the chickens themselves. When I add to the flock, I look for a hen that lays brown eggs and is pretty...and preferably, a color I don't already have or something that makes her distinct. I've just completed my flock (unless a chocolate colored egg laying Maran comes my way) and this is what I have: 1 Rhode Island Red (I never knew there were different kinds. This one was given to me by my friend, who like me, just has chickens. I would assume it's what y'all call a production RIR?); 1 Orpington/Red Star, red sex linked); 1 Barred Rock; 1 Blue Laced Wyandotte/Cornish (at best guess from other here upon seeing her pictures); 1 Blue Orpington, English; I Black Orpington, English; 1 White Orpington, English; 2 Black Australorps They are all in various stages of molting, all on the up side so at least they are getting better at this point. I had no idea that molting took 6 weeks, nor that I was supposed to add a supplement with more protein. I just started that today. As of now, with 9 hens (which is one over my hard limit), I'm getting 3 eggs a day. Hopefully, that will improve now that I've added the supplements. We'll see.

Lisa
Orpington's are not the good layers, at least the ones I used to raise, and I had other chickens friends tell me that also, but at the time we just thought they were pretty birds and I did hatch them out for the 4H kids to raise for their 4H projects.

cmom - that is what I have read that Orpingtons just aren't the best layers. Ironically I read and hear that Australorps are great layers and come from the Orpington breed, with the Australians changing them to fit their needs.

My back up breed, if the feed store doesn't have Australorps, will be RIRs - who I know are excellent layers.

So I would like to have colorful egg trays for the summer. I have been having trouble finding the breed that would give me those eggs. I am willing to travel a little for the best price.
I will need Maran , ameruocanas, and best if I can get olive Eggers. I live in Kissimmee. And would like juvenile if possible

I live in the Panhandle of Florida and I am very new to chickens. I just got my five today - three Golden Buff hens, one Rhode Island Red hen, and an Ameraucana rooster. I am so excited!!!!! I have spent most of the afternoon watching them in the pen, and getting ready to put them up in the coop now. I am happy to be a part of BYC!

I live in the Panhandle of Florida and I am very new to chickens. I just got my five today - three Golden Buff hens, one Rhode Island Red hen, and an Ameraucana rooster. I am so excited!!!!! I have spent most of the afternoon watching them in the pen, and getting ready to put them up in the coop now. I am happy to be a part of BYC!

Welcome to BYC! I live in the Florida Panhandle too. Stinks that it's going to be 80 degrees for Christmas Day! In what part of the Panhandle do you live? I am just north of Pensacola. I have 32 hens and one rooster (he's a happy guy).

welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the FL thread!

Congratulations on your new flock
smile.png

So I would like to have colorful egg trays for the summer. I have been having trouble finding the breed that would give me those eggs. I am willing to travel a little for the best price.
I will need Maran , ameruocanas, and best if I can get olive Eggers. I live in Kissimmee. And would like juvenile if possible

Hi! I have Marans, Olive Eggers, Welsummers, and both Lavender and Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. I am just north of Gainesville. I mainly sell day old straight run chicks and am just now starting a wait list and plan to start setting eggs after the holidays. FL people get first priority in Jan and Feb as it is too cold to ship to most other states. My website is http://eightacresfarm.weebly.com/index.html and my price list is on the Info page.

Hi! I have Marans, Olive Eggers, Welsummers, and both Lavender and Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas. I am just north of Gainesville. I mainly sell day old straight run chicks and am just now starting a wait list and plan to start setting eggs after the holidays. FL people get first priority in Jan and Feb as it is too cold to ship to most other states. My website is http://eightacresfarm.weebly.com/index.html and my price list is on the Info page.
Luanne has nice birds - I have been to her place several times now, and like getting certain Wyandottes from her for my project. Her wheaten Am line goes broody, as well.

I would also like to say
welcome-byc.gif
and the Florida thread. Good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom