FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hi! I just found this thread and it's good to know there are so many peeps here in Florida! I'm in Tampa, new to the forum, and cleaning up after the aftermath of the storm. Sadly, I lost one of my Ameraucaunas 4 nights ago from (what I now know) an impacted crop (she died in my arms). With the ground being so saturated we can't bury her until it dries out some.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are others here in Tampa on the forum. I'm a newbie to this but happy I found this thread!

Karen

(RIP my beautiful Peaches)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/florida-always-sunny-side-up

We were supposed to be west of the storm but it had other ideas. One dog carrier we use for a chick coop filled with water to the door. Good thing they weren't in it and had other places to shelter. Third roof tarp we've had to replace in 2 weeks. We learned last year that runoff can take out 6-week-old chicks even faster than getting wet, so we already had drainage ditches routed around the runs. Still, we've had so much rain over the last month that we've had to deworm and torch the soil between deluges. After the last set of storms we had to start treating for respiratory problems, and here we go again. At least we finished our isolation run and coop way down at the end of the orchard before this storm hit, so the sick birds are dry. When I sell chicks or chickens, I tell my customers they are under warranty and to come get their meds from me. We are never without Tylan 50 or Ivermectin. To think that Grandma's chickens in Utah never seemed to get sick. Yet I keep trying to stay organic. Even with no-soy non-GMO feed and kefir in their mash every night, it's dream on... But we never lost power here. Woo-hoo!

Hi! I just found this thread and it's good to know there are so many peeps here in Florida! I'm in Tampa, new to the forum, and cleaning up after the aftermath of the storm. Sadly, I lost one of my Ameraucaunas 4 nights ago from (what I now know) an impacted crop (she died in my arms). With the ground being so saturated we can't bury her until it dries out some.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are others here in Tampa on the forum. I'm a newbie to this but happy I found this thread!

Karen

(RIP my beautiful Peaches)
Welcome to the FL group!!! They're a friendly bunch at least. I mostly lurk. lol I'm so sorry you lost your baby Peaches. It's never easy to lose an animal.

Welcome. I was very happy to find people that are more concerned with sideways rain and tropical stormstorm than snow.

I'm sorry about your girl.
Wendy

Welcome to the FL group!!! They're a friendly bunch at least. I mostly lurk. lol I'm so sorry you lost your baby Peaches. It's never easy to lose an animal.

thank you both, anac1979 and flocking nuts! I lurked for about 4 months (and read, and read, and did I mention, I read?) before I really joined. I am a FL girl 'fer sure'. I grew up in Lakeland (in the Highlands - south Lakeland) and have been in Tampa (not IN the city, but the burbs) since I turned 18 and moved in with my Dad (RIP) to go to college, and I'm still in Tampa! Thank God we don't have to battle the snow and so forth. I'm an insurance underwriter (don't hate me!), and part of my job over the years has been to work on the hurricane tracking teams. The ONLY thing you can predict about hurricanes and tropical storms, is that they are predictably unpredictable!

Good to be here and hoping to make lots of new friends, especially the Florida 'peeps'!
Karen

Quote:

Welcome. I was very happy to find people that are more concerned with sideways rain and tropical stormstorm than snow.

Wendy
I agree. Florida presents it's own challenges, but snowstorms are not typically one of them.

We got hit by the storm late at night, when the chickens were already roosting. I had a hen develop a cough right after the storm. I suspect she caught the brunt of the sideways rain, and got soaked. I isolated her, began treating her with Tetroxy HCA, and she seems to be responding very well to it. The rest of the flock seems fine.

Punta Gorda Florida checking in here

I agree.  Florida presents it's own challenges, but snowstorms are not typically one of them. 

We got hit by the storm late at night, when the chickens were already roosting.  I had a hen develop a cough right after the storm.  I suspect she caught the brunt of the sideways rain, and got soaked.  I isolated her, began treating her with Tetroxy HCA, and she seems to be responding very well to it.  The rest of the flock seems fine. 

In designing a coop I had a huge problem because I kept reading about drafts, but knew I didn't want roasted chicken either.

I agree.  Florida presents it's own challenges, but snowstorms are not typically one of them. 

We got hit by the storm late at night, when the chickens were already roosting.  I had a hen develop a cough right after the storm.  I suspect she caught the brunt of the sideways rain, and got soaked.  I isolated her, began treating her with Tetroxy HCA, and she seems to be responding very well to it.  The rest of the flock seems fine. 

In designing a coop I had a huge problem because I kept reading about drafts, but knew I didn't want roasted chicken either.

Here are a couple of my coops. They are both the same design.

Back
Top Bottom