FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Hi everyone! I'm located in Sebring. Just acquired my first flock- two americaunas (true americaunas from a breeder), a salmon faverolles and four silkies for the kids. We are using an awesome tractor from urbanchickentractors.com on our St. Augustine lawn. Any tips for keeping them on Florida grass is much appreciated!
Keep moving that tractor because they love to scratch in the grass and that will kill the grass.
I don't think they eat the grass so much as dig and dig and dig in it....

Awesome! Is that St. Johns County? I just started a couple months ago with chicken. So far I have a RIR (I think that's what he is) Roo, BSL, SLW, EE, BR, and an Australorp ( or maybe actually another BSL I'm not 100% sure she's an Australorp.) I thought they were supposed to be totally black, but mine has some reddish/brown kinda like my BSL...Do you have any pics of yours? I guess you've been getting eggs for some time now from them huh?

This is Moonshine , my Australorpe. We only eat like this on special occasions.

This is Nugget. Newest to the flock since this past summer. She is our mongrel, but occasionally lays huge double yolk eggs.

Awesome! Is that St. Johns County? I just started a couple months ago with chicken. So far I have a RIR (I think that's what he is) Roo, BSL, SLW, EE, BR, and an Australorp ( or maybe actually another BSL I'm not 100% sure she's an Australorp.) I thought they were supposed to be totally black, but mine has some reddish/brown kinda like my BSL...Do you have any pics of yours? I guess you've been getting eggs for some time now from them huh?

My son with his Rhode Island Red named Violet Blaze( his idea). I got my first three last November and was told they hatched in August. They started laying one by one at about 22-24 weeks. This past summer we had 4 hens laying 3-4 eggs daily. You can see the coop in the right background.

My son with his Rhode Island Red named Violet Blaze( his idea). I got my first three last November and was told they hatched in August. They started laying one by one at about 22-24 weeks. This past summer we had 4 hens laying 3-4 eggs daily. You can see the coop in the right background.

This is Moonshine , my Australorpe. We only eat like this on special occasions.

This is Nugget. Newest to the flock since this past summer. She is our mongrel, but occasionally lays huge double yolk eggs.
Too cute! My son will probably try to do that now that he has seen it done lol I can't wait to start getting eggs. My BSL pullet should be the ready to lay soon, age wise anyway. Our Roo also feels that she is ready(There's been lots of action going on & I may have to lock him up some of the time if he keeps harassing her too much) I know that I might be waiting until next year (while I hope it is any day). Looks like you probably free range..Any trouble with predators? (I'm so worried that there's gonna be a hawk that shows up someday lol I SO worry about my flock)

Have a friend in St Cloud with a healthy breeder
quality 5 week old Blue Wheaton Ameraucana cockerel.
Free to good home. She doesn't want him eaten or I would have
taken him. Please PM me and I can send pictures of him.
You could also pick him up in Oviedo from myself if it's closer

Added some photos of my breeder stock to Wednesdays ad for him-
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...el-st-cloud-or-oviedo-florida-central-florida

Hope we can find a good home as a breeder or a backyard flock rooster for the little guy.
They have awesome personalities!!

Quote:
Even before I got chickens I used stuff from the feed store as fertilizers. It is a way to go less chemical without spending a fortune on "organic" fertilizers in the fancy bags. For my citrus and other acid lovers I use Cottonseed Meal (N P K 7-2-2) with Alfalfa Pellets (N P K 3-1-2) for a good balance and slow release. Soybean Meal can be substituted for Cottonseed for veggies and higher PH plants. Alfalfa also has a lot of trace minerals. They won't hurt the chickens, but you might water it in before turning them loose so you don't lose all your fertilizer
wink.png

Hello from Hawthorne, FL. I have a mixed flock of Buff Orpintons, RI Reds, Aracaunas, a White hen a White Rooster (Reginald), and a Guinea. Soon to get more Buff Orp Chicks.
jumpy.gif

Oh I like that idea!
I need to look at grass requirements and maybe toss down something organic after I move the tractor to fertilize it. I know chicken manure is high in nitrogen. Because I move it often it hasn't burned the grass but maybe adding some bone meal or something might keep the grass looking better. I have the tractor over a patch of weeds. I'm hoping they'll gobble up the weeds in a day or two and the grass will grow back.

The nitrogen should be all you need for grass.. You may need to toss some grass seed down after they are moved to a new area.
Take a PH sample of your dirt. Grass won't grow in areas where the ph is too high or too low.

Sorry for duplication! I think I posted this in the wrong place earlier and am unable to delete it. Have mercy on an old lady! :)

I am plotting and planning my coop design, trying to reuse/recycle as much as possible. I have been checking out floorplans and examples on here and other sites. I have noticed that most of the photos of people's coops are pretty enclosed, with maybe a window or two and vents, but solid walls. Do you find that works in our climate?

My plan is to enclose an area under balcony and stairs of our two story workshop. Dimension will be about 6' deep, 5' wide' and 8' tall. I was thinking of using a screen door (reinforced with hardware cloth) but am now wondering if that's too breezy?

I am starting with two chickens but will have no more than 6 eventually. I will have a covered run of about 120 square feet.

I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom