FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Quote: I have had a broody in the past who was like yours and would not get off of a nest of eggs. Every day in the early afternoon I would take her off for around 20 minutes. I blocked the nest off or she would try to get right back on it. She would eat, drink and poop when I took her off. She wasn't happy about it. As soon as I unblocked her nest she was back on it in a flash.

almost two weeks old and first time out of the pen!

New Wheaten Marans chicks!
love.gif

2yr old silver laced polish bantam rooster and two mix breed half polish hens need a home. We need coop space for show quality bantams for my 4h kids. He is yellow from sun exposure and has a broken off spur so can't be entered in shows anymore but he is from champion bloodlines so would be a nice breeding quality rooster. The hens lay a nice medium sized eggs daily. Brevard county. Pm me if interested.
[/IMG]

Boy is it not sunny side up today....went to work and while gone it stormed. Being a newer coop owner, I thought my babies were fine until I got home... boy was I wrong. I pulled in driveway and noticed through the hard rain that ALL the chickens were out in the 10 x 10 fenced in "yard" they have.. wondering why I looked closer and saw the winds had slammed their door shut, the poor things had been in the rain for almost 2 hours. I now see also that the back corner is sitting in a puddle, and that brings up the summer project I was going to do is now going to have to happen sooner than later. I am going to have to " raise" the coop up on cinder blocks to keep it above wet ground, Am also going to have to find a new cover for the coop as well since the other was torn hard in the winds and leaked in a ton of water to make the ground into a swamp!

Florida Hen- If you are putting it up on cinders you need to be aware that that is the perfect crawl space for rats. Believe me they can chew into the bottom of a coop in just a few days once they start. I wouldn't have put it on the ground either for that reason May want to raise it a good 2' off the ground and give the girls a ladder to go up. Rats can climb the ladder but if you close the coop door at night they can't get in. Alternatively just build a small 'porch' for the girls to fly up to. Then rats can get up there at all. ;-)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom