FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

In a couple of weeks on Saturday January 14th, 2017 there is a show in Lake City, Florida, Columbia County Fairgrounds. I'll be there with PLENTY of nice Pure Heritage Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White cockerels 5 to 8 months old. I will also be bringing some White Leghorn cockerels.

Hi all! I'm new here and getting my coop prepared for laying hens. I would love a colorful egg basket. Anyplace in Miami, Homestead, Redland, even Davie where I can get hens? Other than craigslist, I'm having a hard time finding local vendors. I am only interested in 3-4 hens at the time.

welcome-byc.gif

I live in Dunnellon, Citrus County side, which is between Ocala and Crystal River.
We are looking at a property between Dunnellon and Ocala this weekend. If this property beats out Ocala National Forest, we could be neighbors. Mrs. Henkeeper was not thrilled to learn of all the predators in the forest that would enjoy our "free range buffet".

I only free range when I'm out around the coops and pens but all of my coops have large pens. Each pen is 20ft wide x 60 ft long. These are older pictures all of the pens now have nice shade trees. This was taken when the trees were still small and we have added a couple of more coops too. We are slowly residing all of the coops and will also put new metal roofs on them too. The coops are old and the wood is deteriorating too. I do have electric wire around my coops and pens. If a critter touches it, I will know it. I think the other night a young coyote was after a chicken dinner and touched the fence and it sounded like a dog that was startled by something.

Does anyone want an EE roo if anyone is interested message me I'm in the Polk county area. He's a little under a month old. thank you.

Last edited:
I'm building my own coop for the first time, does anybody have any input that could help me? It is for 6 chicks. 3 orpingtons 3 silkies. I was thinking of a plywood floor covered in linoleum and raised off the ground on cinder blocks.

I have bantams, my small coops are raised off ground by about 2 feet, but I used 1/2 x 1 inch wire mesh. Most poop drops through so very little cleaning in coop. The girls till the ground underneath where it is shaded, also helps with ventilation here in Florida. If I had LF I would not hesitate to use 1 x 1 welded wire for bigger poops.

I put my nest boxes too high, if I remodel or build another one the boxes would be close to floor so roosts are much higher. That way no one will take to roosting in nest (hopefully)

Back
Top Bottom