FLORIDA ANYONE?? Please sign on map!

I've been giving some thought to retiring in FL and being a poultry lover, wondering about how your county treats having poultry and livestock. Do you pay a personal property tax, fees or any other tax on them? Are there regs affecting what or how many? And are there any particular problems that seem to be due to your location (as opposed to another county or stte)?

I'd also be interested in how the weather affects them, what sort of predator problems exist, and/or any particular disease problems due to weather or other wildlife co-existing?

Some of this is going to vary due to the county or area but since I'm pretty ignorant of FL, it'd all be interesting to me. If you think of something I didn't, I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks!

frow.gif
Hi Chris1327,
Welcome to BYC ! There are lots of people to talk to here about chickens. I do not know af anyone personally selling RIR right now. But you might try posting a "wanted" post on the BUY/SELL/TRADE category. The FLA Dept of Agriculture website also has a free classified ad section for people to post for poultry etc.

Also.... There is a poultry show Saturday Dec 8th in Stuart, FL. (Martin County) That would be a great place to go and see all kinds of chickens! I am sure there will be people showing RIR. You may be able to make some contacts with RIR breeders. Hope to see you there. The show will be at the Martin County Fairground on Saturday, Dec 8., Judging starts at 9:00AM.

Lisa
smile.png

Hi gootziecat,
What county would you be interested in coming to? You are not required to pay taxes on poultry here in FL, and the regs differ by county, and city. No particular problems for poultry in FL as opposed to other places. I have read about the same things from people in other states. We just keep a maintenance schedule for dusting coops and birds for mites, worming, etc. Because it is hot and humid you have to provide plenty of shade and water (I make sure my waterers are in the shade so they do not get so hot). Predators in my area (Central FL) are hawks, opposums, raccoons, bobcats, foxes.

Lisa
smile.png

before moving to Tennessee, we lived in Polk City Fla near Lakeland, boy do I miss Fla. After living in tn for almost 6 years the only thing i can say i like is the weather( change of seasons) and the utility bill, which runs-about one third of what they did in Fla.Plant City usually has a Strawberry Festival around Jan i think and winter Haven has the Orange festival about the same time. both have great 4h clubs and Polk CO. schools offer a great 4h club program too:cool:

mother to 24 RIR,1pit bull,1 poodle mix and 1 adorable Yorkie, also baby sitting 1 great Dane Oh Yes i have 1 DH I have had for over 54 years so I"ll just keep him

No, I don't have any particular area in mind, Peepsnbunnies. I've been doing some general research of the different areas but don't have a clue. I am interested in the "country" with a small amount of land and warmth (!!) that we can afford. We are on retirement. While it seems laughable to some about taxing poultry and livestock, some places do. FL is noted for its high cost of living and taxes so I was wondering. Thanks for your input.

Sundance, I haven't lived in FL, but I still can sympathize with you. TN has turned out to be disappointing for me. I haven't gotten any poultry yet because I don't know/think if I want to stay here. There isn't much to do and finding people with similar interests is difficult. I don't care as much about the change in seasons as warm winters. Hence my interest in moving to FL.

Howdy Gootzie!
I live in the Panhandle,in NW Florida,Okaloosa County. From Pensacola,Destin and Panama City,there's five counties where real estate is fairly inexpensive relativeto Florida. On the Gulf beaches,as property anywhere that's on a beach is, too rich for my blood. I live 45 miles north of the Gulf,not far from the Alabama/Florida state line. It's rural here,neighbors live half mile down the road. We have 25 acres more or less;17 acres cleared;the rest forest:jack,loblolly and lodgepole pines interspersed with live and pin oaks,scrub oak and red oak,pecan and walnut trees. I have a small(5 acres)orchard of apple,satsuma,lemon(ponderosa and meyer)trees.

The real estate bubble has burst in these parts. What sold,two years ago for $350K,is lucky to sell for $165K. Acreage has dropped in price. In my locale,what was going for $10K per is now at about $4K. My neighbor is selling 10 acres contiguous to mine;I made him an offer. It is not $10K that's for sure! Also, mortgage rates? How low can they go? The moneylenders will be scratching an earthworm's belly before too long!
It gets cold here in the winter,sometimes below freezing. I've been in this area for the past 21 years;it snowed once during the night...next day it was 72. Then this past August,we had HI and DRY days where it was 108+. Fall this year has been nice and long.full crop ready to harvest next month(two weeks actually.) Well,I've jawed enough.
All y'all take care!

Hi everyone,I live in Middleburg, south of Jacksonville. We moved here from Ft. Lauderdale just two months ago. I have 1 1/2 acres, and for me, its a dream come true. I am a NYC girl with a country heart! So far I have gotten two baby goats, (Nigerian and Pygmy cross) and two bunnies. I am waiting for my chicks to hatch any minute now! I would like a Sebastopol goose or maybe little call ducks. Anybody nearby??? Bye for now.

Leecey411, Don't miss the Lake City Show on 1/12/08, there are always some nice Call Ducks for sale there. You will see some top Calls in the show. JB

Back
Top Bottom