FLORIDA - Please list your City here That Allows Chickens!

This is what reads on St.pete.org

Sec. 4-31. Keeping fowl in the City.
hyperlink.png

(a)
Scope of section. The provisions of this section shall apply to the following types of fowl when located on private property: chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese and guinea fowl.
(b)
Running at large. Fowl, subject to this section, running at large within the City are hereby declared to be nuisances.
(c)
Manner of keeping. No person shall be allowed to keep any fowl, subject to this section, within the City unless the fowl are securely fenced and confined to the premises of the owner, and coops and runways are kept clean and free from offensive odors.
(d)
Prohibited locations. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain any fowl, subject to this section, in any residential zoning district within 100 feet of any residence except the residence of the owner, without the consent of the owner or occupant of such residence.
(e)
Noisy fowl. Crowing roosters or other noisy fowl are hereby declared to be nuisances and shall not be kept within the City after a complaint has been made to the Chief of Police that the complainant is disturbed thereby and the Chief of Police has notified the owner of the fowl to remove them from the City. Any person keeping or maintaining such fowl after having received notice to remove them shall be in violation of this section.
(f)
Public property. Fowl subject to this section shall not be released within the City or onto City property.
(Code 1973, § 8-5; Code 1992, § 4-26)

I live in rural saint Lucie county, I've been looking all day for county ordinances but can't really find anything, I live on two acres and have 4 hens 1 rooster, can anyone help me figure this out?

The city of Palm Bay in Brevard County allows 4 hens per residential lot. No roosters! We are all on quarter acre lots here so clean coops are a must to make all the neighbors happy! And a gift of eggs now and again doesn't hurt!!!

Call your local code enforcement. They will tell how your home is zoned and if what animals you can have at your address. I live 100 ft behind a beef ranch but, yet my neighborhood is zoned residential. So I can only have 4 hens no roosters. Or livestock including potbelly pigs or goats. Now of course my chicken math went a little bit over but, I care for my hens coops which my neighbors thank me. If you have cool neighbors you'll be fine.

Just made a FB page called Florida Urban Homesteading. we are trying to get admins and members across the state together. With enough members we can go to our state lawmakers and say This is what we want and this is how we want it done. In the meantime we network on everything from chickens to worm composting, aquaculture and quail. Come out and show your support and give us the strength of numbers as well as knowledge or just check it out and see if it is to your liking. Thanks :) FLORIDA URBAN HOMESTEADING

Ocala fl, Marion County, silver springs shores area. We're allowed hens only, in a residential zoning.

Last edited:
Anyone here live in the Florida Keys (Monroe County)? I've been looking and looking to find zoning requirements and what-not, but can't find anything pertaining to chickens specifically, and most things generalizing "livestock" with most of the focus on horses. We specifically live on Big Pine Key, which is technically under Marathon City jurisdiction, but outside the city limits. BPK is also one of the more "friendly" areas for "livestock" and such.

Any clues without giving myself away by phoning the zoning office?

Back
Top Bottom