The Remembrance Continues

Today we remember Lilly as the groundbreaker she was.

Lilly was the first of our chickens to go and meet Santa. This started a tradition where nearly all of the hens have as their picture taken with Santa and have been featured on our Christmas card.

We were at Tractor Supply picking up something for the ladies and noticed they were offering photos of your pets with Santa. There was not a lot of time left, in fact, just enough time to run home, grab a chicken, and get back. So it was decided that whichever chicken was easiest to grab would be the winning chicken. I figured it would be Maleficent but nope, Lilly walked right up to me like she knew what was going to happen. So off to see Santa we went.

Here she is enjoying the car ride there. It really did seem like she enjoyed the car ride.

The photographer was excited to have a chicken come for a photo but I don't think Santa was. Regardless of Santa's position on this, I think Lilly was quite photogenic. Check out the picture below. It is the centerpiece of our dining room wall of chicken photos.

View attachment 3802776
I remember reading this! I loved the tale of Lily and Santa and the ones that followed in the tradition ❤️ 💚

This morning on my way into work, I saw a small Mallard Drake on the road side standing over his mate who had died from a vehicle strike. He looked so lost just standing there, I am sure he was very confused as to why his mate was just laying there.

As it was just around the corner from work I went in the office grabbed some nitrile gloves and a bag, and went down and picked up the poor wee hen. I’ll bury her at home, away from the chickens.

And I am hoping if his mate isn’t there the drake will move on.

I had noticed the pair in the ditch last week and was worried this would happen. Hopefully the male moves on as this is a very busy road.

No use calling the animal control they won’t do anything - even if it’s a hazard to motorists.

If there is something from an old post you want to see, pm me with a link to the post and I'll turn it back on for a while. Someone reported one of my chicken videos, Youtube took issue with it and took it down, so all of my videos are now private.
:thumbsup

I've taken issue with youtube as well. sadly it's the best place to put videos.

A Remembrance and a Celebration

Hello again. I remain slammed at work with little time to spend catching up on everyone However we are approaching an anniversary that demands to recognized. So I am going to post something every day for the next few days. I apologize if I do not respond to any comments you may make. I just don't have a spare 2 hours in my day to follow this thread.

Anytime there is a changing of guard in a tribe of chickens there is usually a loss of some kind. This coming Friday is both the anniversary of Aurora's ascension to the thrown and, of course, Lilly's passing. So leading up to Friday I am going to retell some of Lilly's most interesting stories as she deserves to be remembered.

Today's remembrance are some of my favorite videos. Lilly loved torturing new comers to the tribe. It gave her immense pleasure to stalk and surprise them. She would even work with other hens like Sansa or even Phyllis to scare the newcomers twice in one surprise attack.

Here you will find Lilly scaring Little Jabber half to death with a surprise attack.

Here Lilly welcomes Betty to the Tribe

Lilly Chases Everyone

Hopefully these links work for everyone.

Lilly was a special leader and excellent leader of the tribe. She is dearly missed by all.
Lilly was special. I owe a great deal of thanks to her and her sister Patsy. They set the bar for what potentially Marans could be like when I first got them. I hope the "Iron Beak" is living it up over the rainbow bridge chasing everyone. I imagine she has finally caught the squirrel up there. My Lilly who I named in honor of her after her passing is emulating her at the moment. She is broody and when she is off the nest she is in a chasing mood. Cats, hens, roosters, she does not care stay out of her way. If chasing does not get the message across, her beak feels like iron as well when she connects.
DSCN3004.JPG

Lilly was special. I owe a great deal of thanks to her and her sister Patsy. They set the bar for what potentially Marans could be like when I first got them. I hope the "Iron Beak" is living it up over the rainbow bridge chasing everyone. I imagine she has finally caught the squirrel up there. My Lilly who I named in honor of her after her passing is emulating her at the moment. She is broody and when she is off the nest she is in a chasing mood. Cats, hens, roosters, she does not care stay out of her way. If chasing does not get the message across, her beak feels like iron as well when she connects.
View attachment 3803105
Perfect. I'm sure The Iron Beak is looking down upon her with great pride. 🥰

Bernie is very tall. She has very long legs and always stands very erect. A smaller chicken like Piglet can (and indeed has) walked under Bernie between her legs, and she can easily eat scraps off the top of my side table which is a bit over 18" high (everyone else jumps up on the table).

When I finally summoned up the courage to weigh her I was surprised that she didn't weigh more. She is only 5.5lbs.

I think the long legs may have been why she had the paralysis issue when she was a chick - she was growing her leg nerves faster than her supplies of vitamin B2 could keep up!

Tax: Pictures of a young and very leggy Bernie. After her recovery I was so excited she could walk I kept taking pictures of her legs!

View attachment 3803055View attachment 3803056View attachment 3803057
What gorgeous lady she is. I find photos of her just stunning. The long lankiness of her.

She actually weighs less than Hattie, Lady Featherington, Aurora, Sydney and even Lilly who in my mind would be tiny next to her.

What gorgeous lady she is. I find photos of her just stunning. The long lankiness of her.

She actually weighs less than Hattie, Lady Featherington, Aurora, Sydney and even Lilly who in my mind would be tiny next to her.
It is possible I weighed her wrong. She has big feet to go with her long legs and when I stood her on the scale she kept standing on the reset button so the scale had a tough time settling down!
I might have a redo once I am back. Now I have overcome my fear I can certainly have another go. Maybe I will stand her in a container so her feet don’t get in the way.

Back
Top Bottom