fly control?

I Recently Started Trying Out Something I Found On The Internet And So Far So Good. Its Just A Bowl With Apple Cider Vinager With A Few Drops Of Liquid Dish Soap. So Far It Seems To Catch More Then Just Flies. Hopes This Helps.

I have no insects at all in my coops,I use the vanilla tree air freshners,THEY REALLY WORK!!I buy the six packs at walmart.It has to be vanilla and the good brand.As soon as I see a fly I put in fresh ones

I scoop every 3 days, I have the vanilla trees hanging, I use DE (whether it is beneficial or not, it certainly keeps poop drier),
and I also hung one of these:
16110.jpg

Airwick Freshmatic Ultra Metered Spray Starter Kit contain battery-powered timer switch that automatically releases scent in user-selectable 9, 18 or 36 minute intervals. Ultra Metered Spray

I'm still deciding between wood shavings and sand in the coop - I have shavings now and it is currently more preferable than the sand I had in their brooder.

Diatomaceous earth will do the trick! I use it in my coop and have no problem with flies. As well, I feed it to my chickens and they LOVE to dust themselves with it. It's a win-win! Oh and it's cheep, cheep, cheep...no pun intended
smile.png

Quote:
There are a number of things that will do that though. Proper management for one. Fixing drainage problems, leaky waterers, absorbent bedding, deep litter, etc. There are also easier to get, cheaper products that will dry the litter, e.g., barn lime ($2 /50 lbs), hydrated lime ($7 / 50 lbs), gypsum ($8 / 50 lbs). I've used gypsum under the waterers because it helps to bind ammonia into the litter vs releasing it as a gas. Barn lime can help to dry out damp areas. Hydrated lime will dry out wetter areas and deodorize, it raises the pH enough to kill the microbes that produce the enzymes that break down the manure producing ammonia and hydrogen sulfide.

I've heard a few folks here say that DE only works if you keep the litter dry and that it doesn't work the way it is supposed to when the litter is wet. No kidding... The key there is keeping the litter dry, not necessarily using DE.

I use pellet bedding. It sucks up all moisture and I haven't seen a fly in the coop yet. I've seen a few in the run when the ground is still damp, but as soon as it dries they are gone. So getting it dry fast must help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom