Food and water at night

I have a 30lb hanging feeder in my coop but water is kept outside at all times. They don't eat during the night but I do have a light in the coop that gets turned on in the morning during the short days. When they wake up they like access to their feed before I let them out for water.

.... They sleep in the nest boxes mainly- am so excited when I see one or two roosting....

It's not a good idea to let them sleep in the nest boxes. The boxes get pooped in and the eggs get poopy when they do that. Close off the boxes at night so they go on the roosts, or pick them up from the boxes and set them on the roosts every night until they get the idea and start doing it themselves.

It's not a good idea to let them sleep in the nest boxes. The boxes get pooped in and the eggs get poopy when they do that. Close off the boxes at night so they go on the roosts, or pick them up from the boxes and set them on the roosts every night until they get the idea and start doing it themselves.

X 2 -- it can be a hard habit to break, especially the longer it's allowed to go on.

X 2 -- it can be a hard habit to break, especially the longer it's allowed to go on.
Can I please ask why it is a problem? I move the poop every morning so it is lovely and fresh.

My ladies seem to love cuddling up together.

Thanks

Paula

Can I please ask why it is a problem? I move the poop every morning so it is lovely and fresh.

Thanks

Paula

As I already explained in my post that you quoted, the chickens poop in the nest and then poop gets on the eggs. I don't want chicken poop on something I'm going to be handling as a food product. Chickens can cuddle on the roost. I try to encourage responsible chicken ownership. If you think it is cute and fun to let them poop in the nests and make work for you everyday cleaning the nest boxes out, that's your call.

Last edited:
As I already explained in my post that you quoted, the chickens poop in the nest and then poop gets on the eggs. I don't want chicken poop on something I'm going to be handling as a food product. Chickens can cuddle on the roost. I try to encourage responsible chicken ownership. If you think it is cute and fun to let them poop in the nests and make work for you everyday cleaning the nest boxes out, that's your call.

Well, I consider myself truly told off ha ha. However, I understand what you are saying - so thanks.

Will rummage for something to block the nest boxes and encourage roosting. I think the ex batts were used to being in a little cage so need to be encouraged to roost.

Thanks again for your candid response
yippiechickie.gif

Well, I consider myself truly told off ha ha. However, I understand what you are saying - so thanks.

Will rummage for something to block the nest boxes and encourage roosting. I think the ex batts were used to being in a little cage so need to be encouraged to roost.

Thanks again for your candid response
yippiechickie.gif

I apologize. I tend to be direct, which can easily come off as quite ascerbic in a text-only environment. If you have a piece of cardboard -- cut open a cardboard box, for example -- and block off the boxes when they come in to roost at night, that will encourage them to roost. Also, after it gets too dark for them to see, pick them up and place them on the roosts so they wake up on the roosts in the morning. Just like putting fake eggs in nest boxes to encourage them to deposit the butt-nuggets there, placing them on the roosts can help instill the idea that this is where they're supposed to go at night.

Last edited:
I apologize. I tend to be direct, which can easily come off as quite ascerbic in a text-only environment. If you have a piece of cardboard -- cut open a cardboard box, for example -- and block off the boxes when they come in to roost at night, that will encourage them to roost. Also, after it gets too dark for them to see, pick them up and place them on the roosts so they wake up on the roosts in the morning. Just like putting fake eggs in nest boxes to encourage them to deposit the butt-nuggets there, placing them on the roosts can help instill the idea that this is where they're supposed to go at night.
Ha ha not a problem.
thumbsup.gif
You have given me some really useful advice and I really appreciate it -thanks.

Am always ready and keen to learn.

Thanks

Paula

They'll still cuddle up on the roost - it is not uncommon to find one bird under another's wing, etc while they are roosted together. The issue with using nest boxes as a sleeping area is that it can cause confusion when production sets in (if the habit forms prior to that) as they see the nests as a "roosting place" rather than a nesting place and if they do see the nest boxes as a nesting area it can be rather unsanitary as a sleeping bird expels a lot of waste in the overnight hours which leads to very messy nest boxes. Most folks would prefer to simply avoid having to do daily nest cleanings by encouraging roosting in one place and nesting in another.

They'll still cuddle up on the roost - it is not uncommon to find one bird under another's wing, etc while they are roosted together. The issue with using nest boxes as a sleeping area is that it can cause confusion when production sets in (if the habit forms prior to that) as they see the nests as a "roosting place" rather than a nesting place and if they do see the nest boxes as a nesting area it can be rather unsanitary as a sleeping bird expels a lot of waste in the overnight hours which leads to very messy nest boxes. Most folks would prefer to simply avoid having to do daily nest cleanings by encouraging roosting in one place and nesting in another.
Well have attempted to block nests with cardboard as advised and 4 roosted-two broke through ha ha. One was the broody slikie. Have reinforced tonight so will keep you updated.

I really appreciate yours and everyone's input as it makes total sense-thank you.

Can I ask- would have roosting in nest boxes have encouraged lice?

I hope you don't mind me picking all your fantastic chicken brains - I just want to do the best for my lovely ladies.

Thanks agai
yippiechickie.gif
n, Paula x

Back
Top Bottom