For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

OMG, that poor chicken!
ep.gif

If a chicken has a rough molt like that and it's in a colder climate, how much of an issue can thermoregulation become? If that was one of my hens right now, I'd feel obligated to get her a sweater and some fuzzy socks because it's been darn cold at night. :eek:

Angie - I'm not sure why you can't see the pictures.

RedDrgn - She certainly doesn't like to be touched, so getting a sweater on her isn't an option. You pick her up and she feels like a porcupine. I had one girl molt last year during the worst cold snap we had in December. It was in the 20's and snow/ice around. She had very little feathers and I was concerned about her. I went out after they were roosting and found her crammed between 2 of the poofiest girls, so they were keeping her nice and toasty.
lol.png

A hard molt like that in the winter and my girls get under the heat lamps. Otherwise, they are trembling and shaking from the cold. One of the few times I use supplemental heating in the coop.

Mine are 8 months old....looks like 6 of the 11 are molting. Well I hope it is molting anyway. I have checked them head to foot for mites or something else weird cause I thought they were too young and see no signs of anything unusual. The tail feathers get a little ratty looking before they fall out. The rest of the feathers look pretty normal when they fall out. I do see the "pins" where the new feathers are growing back. I hope it is normal the long feathers get kinda ratty looking before they come loose.

Back
Top Bottom