For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Good pix to show people who haven't seen a molt, as they would probablly totally freak!
ep.gif

I got a few that are almost as bad!

At least they are growing back before it gets too cold
It would be better to see if that label wasn’t running straight through the middle of the picture. But thank you for posting anyway. I want to see pictures and get information anyway and appreciate it. I have my first flock and I will probably have to go through a molt with them next year. Right now I just want some eggs first.

Angie - I'm not sure why you can't see the pictures.

RedDrgn - She certainly doesn't like to be touched, so getting a sweater on her isn't an option. You pick her up and she feels like a porcupine. I had one girl molt last year during the worst cold snap we had in December. It was in the 20's and snow/ice around. She had very little feathers and I was concerned about her. I went out after they were roosting and found her crammed between 2 of the poofiest girls, so they were keeping her nice and toasty.
lol.png
That label is running through it that I was telling you about.

Those pics were posted 10 year ago.......typical photo hosting site thing to have the watermark show after a certain amount of time.
That makes sense now. Why do they keep running old material? It is still pertinent information for us newbies but I don’t check each date of each post obviously especially at the wee hours of the morning. They ought to close them for replies if they are so out of date also. That way the out of date police would have less to do. I am just trying to learn stuff and keep the conversation going like anyone else would be.

They say pictures are worth a thousand words, so I thought I'd share my picture for all those new to chicken raising on what it looks like when a chicken molts.

Now keep in mind, this hen is going through a very hard molt. (she didn't molt this badly last year) She's a 2 1/2 year old Sicilian Buttercup. You can also see that her comb is shriveled up.

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg
Yikes! Thanks for the warning. My 2 ladies are about a year old & have not molted
They say pictures are worth a thousand words, so I thought I'd share my picture for all those new to chicken raising on what it looks like when a chicken molts.

Now keep in mind, this hen is going through a very hard molt. (she didn't molt this badly last year) She's a 2 1/2 year old Sicilian Buttercup. You can also see that her comb is shriveled up.

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg
Yikes! My 2 ladies are about a year old & haven't molted. I suppose they will do so when the weather turns cool lol?

Good morning wise chicken farmers. I have a two year old hen who has been molting for months. Only her wings are molting and part of her tail. New feathers are coming in. Is there something wrong with her? I’ve never had a hen slowly molt for 6 months.

What do people do when their chicken is molting in wintertime? Mine are most likely due to molt this winter, and I just want to know if I need a heater or anything. This year has been cooler than most (it snowed twice! That's a pretty big deal in tx), so I am just wondering about their well-being.

That makes sense now. Why do they keep running old material? It is still pertinent information for us newbies but I don’t check each date of each post obviously especially at the wee hours of the morning. They ought to close them for replies if they are so out of date also. That way the out of date police would have less to do. I am just trying to learn stuff and keep the conversation going like anyone else would be.
You'd have to take the up with the administrators by starting a thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/

What do people do when their chicken is molting in wintertime? Mine are most likely due to molt this winter, and I just want to know if I need a heater or anything. This year has been cooler than most (it snowed twice! That's a pretty big deal in tx), so I am just wondering about their well-being.
Chickens are pretty well adapted to the cold, no heater needed in most areas. They have a harder time dealing with heat. I live in a pretty cold area of CA and have never given any supplemental heat to mine. (and yes, we get snow here) When the waterer's freeze, I use my hot tea kettle to defrost it and they appreciate the warm water.

What do we do when they molt? Take care of them, give them more protein and wait for eggs again. This is how chicken keeping grows - you hatch new young every year to keep you in eggs through winter.

Back
Top Bottom