For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
Aww... That makes me feel bad about the "worst molting chicken" photo contest thread... Basically giving me the impression that anyone posting photos of half naked chickens are posting photos of poorly cared for chickens...
No, it's not that. Some chickens molt more heavily than others. Some of mine do a gradual replacement and others blow them all at once.

I have watched individual chickens molt many times over many years. It is very difficult to keep stress down even when birds are free-ranged as individuals. Heat in particular is hard to control. A near naked bird does not in itself indicate poor husbandry, rather it simply means the process of replacing feathers is impacted by environmental variables, especially in how fast old feathers are dropped. Genetics may play in at times but with my long lived birds, environmental factors seem more important.

My RIRs are 18 months old, with no signs of molting whatsoever. Temps are still nice but we will dip into freezing temps this winter- and we have some cooler nights ahead already- low 50s- should I be worried about them experiencing a molt during winter? I don't think they'd make it. Is it possible that they'll skip what should be their first molt (according to what I've read, that is)? They are free rangers and get very nice mealworm treats along with kitchen scraps. Also we clipped their wings once they became escape artists- would that stave off a molt as well? This is my first experience with chickens so I apologize if it's a "duh" question!

Thanks
Mags
www.realworldrunner.blogspot.com

My RIRs are 18 months old, with no signs of molting whatsoever. Temps are still nice but we will dip into freezing temps this winter- and we have some cooler nights ahead already- low 50s- should I be worried about them experiencing a molt during winter? I don't think they'd make it. Is it possible that they'll skip what should be their first molt (according to what I've read, that is)? They are free rangers and get very nice mealworm treats along with kitchen scraps. Also we clipped their wings once they became escape artists- would that stave off a molt as well? This is my first experience with chickens so I apologize if it's a "duh" question!

Thanks
Mags
www.realworldrunner.blogspot.com

You could easily have hens in particular that are not into heavy molt yet. Many breeds like my dominiques have delayed and compressed molt cycle that occurs later in the year especially when they are still in lay. I have about 1/2 dozen Dominique hens that have yet to go into heavy molt which will result in them being in poor feather during the early part of winter. That be a problem when considering my birds spend winter exposed to weather with minimal protection from wind or precipitation. More feed is required to compensate for delayed molt when it is cold.

Thanks for the info, centrarchid. I suspect my girls might be of that persuasion. Luckily, our winters aren't severe (some snow, and just a few weeks of below freezing temps, but it is very windy!) and the coop is well-sheltered from the wind but I'll take your advice and load them up with more food, especially protein, when and if they do molt this winter. I'm not above letting them stay in the garage at night!

Thank you!

Question for anyone that can help. One of my chickens is molting (actually I think 3 of the 4 are) and the one we noticed molting first, the other's are picking on her and won't let her on the roost. Or maybe she doesn't want to get on the roost. Either way, has anyone ever had this problem?

Back
Top Bottom