For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
^^^ On the other had there are people here who do everything right but they get poor quality productions hens from a feed store that go bald when they molt. I guess it depends on your definition of "stress".

Last edited:
I can also show birds with exposed skin and they are mine confined to pens. I do not like stressing them but some times it is essential to keep them so when resources are limiting. If I had hundreds of acres with good barns and dogs plus exceptional free-range attributes they would all be covered during molt.

Additionally stress can come from being in heavy lay for extended periods. I expect my birds to shut down immediately prior to start of heavy molt. Pushing them otherwise is otherwise stressful no matter how well they are cared for otherwise.

I have a question. I had 3 hens start molting about 6 weeks ago. It looks to me like they are just about done. My fourth hen started molting about 2-3 weeks ago. She is looking pretty rough right now. My question is, how long does it take before they start laying again and will they wait until the fourth has finished her molt? Thanks

I have a question. I had 3 hens start molting about 6 weeks ago. It looks to me like they are just about done. My fourth hen started molting about 2-3 weeks ago. She is looking pretty rough right now. My question is, how long does it take before they start laying again and will they wait until the fourth has finished her molt? Thanks

There is no set answer unfortunately - each hen is an individual. It depends on how hard their molt was on their body and how much weight they lost during the process. Once they feather back in, they have to get their body weight back up before they can start laying again. When their combs start turning back to a bright red, they are getting close to starting again. Some hens will go through the whole molting process in a couple of months, some take longer. My English Orp usually takes 4-5 months to molt, but she's got a TON of feathers to replace.

I can tell you that it has nothing to do with the molting of others. They start back up when their bodies are ready to.

My cream legbar is finished growing in her feathers, and I can see her putting on weight. She'll be laying again soon.

Last edited:
There is no set answer unfortunately - each hen is an individual. It depends on how hard their molt was on their body and how much weight they lost during the process. Once they feather back in, they have to get their body weight back up before they can start laying again. When their combs start turning back to a bright red, they are getting close to starting again. Some hens will go through the whole molting process in a couple of months, some take longer. My English Orp usually takes 4-5 months to molt, but she's got a TON of feathers to replace.

I can tell you that it has nothing to do with the molting of others. They start back up when their bodies are ready to.

My cream legbar is finished growing in her feathers, and I can see her putting on weight. She'll be laying again soon.
Thanks. I let them free range and I'm afraid they are going to start laying somewhere in the yard without my knowledge. Another weird thing is ever since the molting process started only half of them sleep on the roost. The others sleep in the nesting boxes and I want to put an end to it because I have to clean it almost on a daily basis.

I have two girls (Americauna, New Hampshire Red) moulting this winter (for Christmas!) and it has been going on for 2 months. They are less active, pale combs and wattles, eating less and prefer to roost in the coop most of the time. Of course they are not laying either. Concerned that there might be something else wrong I started searching for info on moulting and found this really wonderful site I wanted to share:
http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/managing-the-molt/
Hope someone else will find it helpful!

I'm not a computer Guru but try checking your JAVA version. Make sure to check that you have the latest version as well of Adobe flash player. It has to do with graphics I suppose. I had a similar problem before...

My Welsummers (2) are molting and they are only 10 mo. old....I did actually take one to vet and he said mine was a heavy molt but nothing like your pictures....Gretta looked under the weather but fine. He consulted with a chicken expert and they suggested Young Again Pet Food --Immune and Digestive support...I put Gretta and her Welsummer friend Frieda in a warm place for awhile and seem to be doing fine. The combs got real pale so that was part of my concern. We have been giving cat food every other day or so for extra protein but not too much as could her liver.

Our other chickens don't seem to be molting so COULD ANYONE TELL ME IF IT IS THE WELSUMMER BREED?
THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO AND PICTURES.

My welsummer pullets are also molting. As for the pale comb, that is normal for a bird that is not laying. When they finish feathering back in and get their weight back up, their combs will get bright red again.

There is no need to move them to a warm spot. The cold weather helps them feather in faster. Plus, they will snuggle up to the others for warmth.

Back
Top Bottom