For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
Thanks for sharing! Yesterday my daughter and I dusted our girls for mites (for the first time ever) and our girl Tiny was shedding feathers like crazy. We figured she was beginning a molt (they're going into their second fall and we haven't seen an obvious molt yet. Now I know not to freak if she gets looking rather rough. During a molt, will she seem tired or stop laying at all?

Thanks for sharing! Yesterday my daughter and I dusted our girls for mites (for the first time ever) and our girl Tiny was shedding feathers like crazy. We figured she was beginning a molt (they're going into their second fall and we haven't seen an obvious molt yet. Now I know not to freak if she gets looking rather rough. During a molt, will she seem tired or stop laying at all?
They usually stop laying during a molt, but not always, they need their nutrition to grow feathers(almost pure protein) so stop using it to produce eggs. Yes, they can seem tired and irritable while growing new feathers in, those pin feathers can be sensitive to touch. Upping their protein, animal protein, can help grow feathers faster.

Do all breads molt? Or are there some that dont.
I'm pretty sure all chicken breeds molt.
Chickens go thru 3-4 feather changes in their first year then do an annual molt after that.

Great thread. I have a BA that is a year and 1/2. Going through a had molt. She is not eating and has lost wt. the flock is on feather fixer. And I heve given her a boost of Nutidrench. I have been feeding her twice a day using a purée of the food. She is not lethargic , but she was the top chick but she has backed done. She was always picking on the younger birds and is not interested, does anyone have any suggestions!
Make sure she has food availabe at all times. Molting can be very hard on a bird. It's normal for them to lose some weight, but with a really hard molt, they can lose a lot. It's a time that they are uncomfortable, so they generally stick to themselves. She will get back to normal behavior when she is done molting.

My chickens have never molted. This is the third fall for a few of them. What's with this?
They may have gone through a minor molt, and you did not notice. Do you light your coop? This will delay, but not avoid, molting.

Yes, they will stop laying completely. Feathers are mostly protein, so they need all of their food energy to go into feathers. It takes a lot out of their bodies, so they cannot lay eggs during this process. Once their feathers grow back in and their weight is back up to a safe level, then they will start laying again.

She will seem tired, or more importantly, just keep to herself. I would imagine that they feel like a pincushion - can't be all that comfortable. They just want to be left alone. Some of my birds will seem grumpy, which is also normal.

Do all breads molt? Or are there some that dont.
Yes, all breeds molt. Some of my roosters are molting at the moment.

Glad you posted picture. I got 3 hens that were born late January - mid February. Only 2 are laying (one just this week). The silkie has not layed as of yet. One day I came home to white feather EVERYWHERE. I thought something got into the pen but the other two were fine. Could this have been a hard molt? Our pen is covered as well by the way. Then I thought maybe the chickens got into a fight. She's the smallest of the 3 but they have been raised together since they hatched at a friends coop. Of course they are girls and you know how girls can have spats - :) so I don't know if that was the case or what. Share comments please.

Glad you posted picture. I got 3 hens that were born late January - mid February. Only 2 are laying (one just this week). The silkie has not layed as of yet. One day I came home to white feather EVERYWHERE. I thought something got into the pen but the other two were fine. Could this have been a hard molt? Our pen is covered as well by the way. Then I thought maybe the chickens got into a fight. She's the smallest of the 3 but they have been raised together since they hatched at a friends coop. Of course they are girls and you know how girls can have spats - :) so I don't know if that was the case or what. Share comments please.
Yep, that's molting. It looks like a pillow exploded.

I thought my big girls were plucking feathers off of each other. Since mine have bald butts, from some body feather pulling, I thought the same thing was happening now to the necks and wings! I thought the white pin bottom of the feathers were left in. I even isolated one of the girls because she had all her feathers (no bald butt or anything) and I thought she was really beating everyone up!

Thank you for the picture...it really gives me peace of mind.

This is my daughter's hen, Sunny. She was born March 1, 2013. It is now October 2014 and she's going through her first hard molt. She's stopped laying for a few weeks now. Still sweet and playful though! I'm putting our flock on Nature Wise Feather Fixer tonight since it's starting to get cold here in Iowa, especially at night

If it's a hard molt, then yes - she'll stop entirely and egg production will pick back up in February/March. Sometimes if it's a pretty light molt, she may lay sporadically through the winter.

Back
Top Bottom