For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
I have four 18 week old pullets. I think they are molting it that normal or should I be concerned. They are not naked but there sure are a lot of feathers I their run.

I did rush mine to the vet (bird vet)...$167.00 later told there was nothing wrong with her. She is still molting and hasn't laid an egg since Sometime in June.

Mine are still laying, had saddles and capes on 8 of my 17 hens. Left on since feb. Removed 3 in the last week to reveal beautiful black plumage and green sheen on my astrolorps. My speckled sussex and welsummers will be next. Sure glad i bought them, and got my rooster hen ratio fixed. The extra meal worms, bee pollen, and flax seed seems to have done the trick. Largest eggs i have ever seen. I can see where they are loosing more "dull" feathers. But unfirling new pin feathers almost immediately. And yes, feathers everywhere! My 12 new ameraucanas and sex links have gone threw about 4 mini molts getting their big girl bloomers. Between the 27 hens, getting around 15-18 eggs a th day. With 10 hens molting. Not bad.

All of the pullets molt to get their grown feathers, didn't notice it much last year. But i watched the new batch of chicks closer, and feathers all over the place. You could only tell by the color of who they belonged to.never naked babies. Just beautiful feathers. Especially my Colunbian Wyandottes, they are gorgeous.

Is there any remedy or danger to molting? should i do anything special for them?
Nothing you can do, other than feed them extra protein. Molting is a natural process, and lets them grow in new feathers for winter. Tattered, old feathers don't retain warmth.

I'm experiencing my first hard molt, but it's a natural process, and all chickens do it to some extent. It's like strands of your hair coming out and being replaced by new ones. Same thing with feathers. I have been giving my girls extra protein, which should help. The girl at the feed store said to give them chick starter, because it has more protein, but I haven't decided to do that. You might check with the people where you get your feed. The lady who owns the feed store I shop at has chickens, and she's quite knowledgeable. I also connected with some local people on facebook, and they help me out, also, with questions.

If I can answer any more questions, please let me know. I will do my best.
Game bird starter has high protein. The one my local TSC carries is ~30% protein. Flockraiser (which is what I feed all of the time, is 20%)

Also I include flax seed, and bee pollen in my feed. Really is good for their digestion and their feathers.bee pollen is a "super" food. Not cheap, but anything for my girls.
Stale milk is also good, they don't care if it's curdled. It has some animal protein too.

I have four 18 week old pullets. I think they are molting it that normal or should I be concerned. They are not naked but there sure are a lot of feathers I their run.
Sounds like they are finishing up their juvenile molt. Getting their big bird feathers in. They will be fine.

My chickens are looking like this too but they also have bald spots on their chest area and back area where the tail feathers start that look real red and raw. Is that part of molting? How long does molting last. Seems it's been going on for months. Our girls were a year old in March.

My chickens are looking like this too but they also have bald spots on their chest area and back area where the tail feathers start that look real red and raw. Is that part of molting? How long does molting last. Seems it's been going on for months. Our girls were a year old in March.

They can get red from being picked on during their molt. Red skin can also indicate lice or mites. Have you checked for them? Flip them upside down and look for little brown bugs around their vent. (lice) For mites, you need to look at night.

Back
Top Bottom