Found some 100% English LF Chocolate Orpingtons, have questions

sahmoffour

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
I've found a local breeder that has 100% English Large Fowl Chocolate Orpingtons for sale, I've been debating getting into breeding, and have had my heart set on Choc Orpingtons, the opportunity has just come up a little earlier than I thought it would so now I'm scrambling!

On her website, all it states is that they were lucky enough to be able to acquire 2 different English lines.

What questions should I be asking? How do I know they are true LF English Chocolate Orpingtons? She has chicks for sale ($50/chick) or older pullets/cockerals ($75/pullet or cockerel) that are 1.5-2 months old.

To start a proper breeding program, how many pullets/cockerals would you suggest buying?

I know nothing about chocolate orpingtons (I know the LF are bit rare) but $50 per chick? Seriously? It's a chick... Does the chick come with oil or gold?

Last edited:
Ask questions about which lines, and whether the available birds are from separate lines or crossed together. Ask when the birds were imported, and by whom. Ask to see photos of the parent birds. Read up on the orpington standard. Since they are English lines, you will want to reference the British standard, but you should also read the APA standard so that you understand the differences. (I am assuming that you are in America since you refer to them as English--if you were in Britain, I would expect that you wouldn't have added that adjective.)

The price difference between chicks and started birds seems awfully low ($50 per chick vs $75 per started). If the started birds are $75, I'd have expected $25 max. for chicks. Or if chicks are $50, I'd have expected at least $100 for starteds. Anyways, you will have a better guess at the quality of the older birds. I'd suggest a trio or quad. Or two trios.

I know nothing about chocolate orpingtons (I know the LF are bit rare) but $50 per chick? Seriously? It's a chick... Does the chick come with oil or gold?
Most of the well-to-do farms charge well $100+ per chick straight-run. Oh, and don't forget the minimum requirement, its ridiculous! I just got criticized/lectured in the buy/sell/trade forum the other day for stating I would rather buy several hatching eggs for $100 than just one chick.

The advice above is really great!

A trio is a good way to start and cost-effective. You definitely want to know the lines, find out if they are in different pens or mixed together, etc. Most people have different pens and can give you birds from each one so they will be totally unrelated, others do not have that many birds.

I bought a trio from a woman locally, I got really lucky. I paid only $25 for my first chocolate who was 8 weeks and then several weeks later I traded her back two lavenders (cost $30) for a chocolate roo and bought a hen for $40. I think spending some time researching pictures of the more well known farms and lines can give you a good idea of what they should look like. For me personally, I have noticed some people's birds have some coppery/red feathers mixed in with the chocolate and I do not like that- I don't consider it pure chocolate. Make sure they aren't bantams, projects or medium sized, as those are more common than true LF Chocolates. I know two places who have had 12lb roos and still want to breed them up in size, so bigger is better. They should be equal in size to other English orpingtons.

get the started birds. ask for pics before you buy. you never know what color a complicated/new variety will be
because there are color genes who can express later but not in the chick down.
best,
karen

Back
Top Bottom