Free chick from McMurray

wow that is so awesome, it really makes me want roos. do they crow all day and night? also how do you handle the breeding, i dont want alot of muts all over the place lol

You don't have to worry about the breeding so long as you collect the eggs. My EE is the only one that crows at an odd hour. Half-past midnight to be precise, and between the roos, they crow about 5 specific times of day. EE (Bandit) and Angel crow about 5:30 in the morning. Angel and Domino crow about noon, and Bandit crows about 2:00 in the afternoon. Then I hear all three of them crow between 5:00 and 6:00. I have yet to hear Labelle crow, and I'm super excited to hear it. I would say I am just as excited to hear the crow as I am to start getting eggs from my younger bunch who refuse to start their laying careers in horribly cold weather (where I am, it doesn't usually get below freezing, even in winter).

Here's a link to a video of Domino's crow. He has the most interesting crow I have ever heard from a rooster. Every time I come up to the door, they have the habit of gathering at the door so I will let them out.
D.gif

I tried embeding the video in the post, but FB links aren't supported, so here's the link to it.

I love to hear my hens lay, they are so noisy and start at 7am. Thats why i think i will love hearing my roosters too lol

Roosters definitely crow all throughout the day which is the important thing to remember. I did get rid of one of mine who was the most obnoxious (but he was also very mean). The rest crow randomly throughout the day, usually when something strange happens. They also all start crowing when somebody comes up the driveway. They are our little watch roosters.

Their crows also travel...we live on 5 acres pretty secluded but we've had neighbors comment to us about how surprised they are that they crow all throughout the day.

were going to 10 acres so hopefully wont be an issue. Im only going to have hopefully 2 roosters to 40 or so hens so hopefully that will cut it down too lol
woot.gif
lol

Hopefully. Remember, the sexing isn't always exact. Out of 16 I ordered, 5 were hens, and I only ordered two with a possible third (mystery chick). What are the breeds you ordered? I'm curious.

oh so many.. too many to list, im getting about 40 birds and most are just one of each breed lol. Now im thinking mille fluer so i can breed with my whilte cochin and make mille fleur cochins
tongue.png

OMG! That would be SOOO CUTE! I hope your project turns out. :) I love the color patterns of the Mille Fluer I plan on starting on my own project of specific colored EEs and start my own olive egger production. It's not going to be huge, maybe a couple of chickens at a time and so forth because I don't want to overwhelm myself, but yeah. :)

im doing olive eggers too, im getting a blue americauna roo and will breed with my marans and hopefully i can get a penedesenca and wellsummer, they are all sold out now

Back
Top Bottom